Simple and tasty, this creamy sour cream chip dip is prepped in minutes. Pairs deliciously with potato chips, fresh veggies and crackers.
Sour Cream Chip Dip is just right for mixing up a quick and easy dip for parties, potlucks and game day events. We love to make simple but delicious dips like our Easy Spinach Dip, Zesty Dill Ranch Dip and favorite Cream Cheese Fruit Dip with Honey. This is one of our Appetizer recipes you’ll want to keep in your recipe box!
Chip and dip are party foods you’ll always find at my house. Whether is game day, movie night, or a potluck, this sour cream dip recipe, made sour cream and simple ingredients from your spice rack, is a quick appetizer you’ll want to indulge in. It’s so basic, but always the first thing everyone goes for, so that makes it a winner in my book.
While some things are really better bought at the store, homemade sour cream dip tastes so much better than anything you can buy, even better than using a dip mix. It’s totally worth the minimal effort it takes to make this easy recipe!
If you have a basically stocked spice rack, you should have what you need to make this tasty dip. Adding lots of spices to sour cream can make a quick prep dip for any occasion.
Sour Cream Chip Dip Ingredients
- Sour Cream – both full fat and light sour cream make incredible chip dip. We don’t recommend the fat-free variety for this recipe.
- Dried Minced Onion – gives great flavor and texture to the dip. One teaspoon of onion powder can be substituted if you don’t have this spice on hand.
- Dill Weed – also called dried dill in some parts of the country.
- Parsley Flakes – this is the workhorse of homemade chip dip. You may not think it tastes like anything, but you’ll miss it if it’s not there.
- Garlic Powder – any dried garlic spice, be it powder, flakes or dried chopped garlic are great for chip dip.
- Onion Powder – for concentrated onion flavor.
- Seasoning Salt – gives a little extra flavor, but if you don’t have it, substitute table or kosher salt.
- Cayenne – I love to add a pinch of cayenne to most dips, but bringing on the heat is totally optional. Add more or less to your tastes.
How To Make this Tasty Dip
- In a medium bowl, add a 16-ounce container of sour cream and dry ingredients. Whisk together (we love a mini-whisk for this) until well combined.
- Cover the mixing bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours for the flavors to blend and dried minced onion to soften.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and surround with all your favorite dippers. Enjoy.
One of the best things about this quick appetizer recipe is it’s totally versatile. You can easily make it your own by adding extra seasonings like black pepper, white pepper, paprika, fresh chives, green onions or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Feel free to substitute basic ingredients you have on hand like minced garlic cloves or garlic salt for the garlic powder (if adding garlic salt omit adding any extra salt), table salt or kosher salt for the seasoning salt, and fresh parsley and dill instead of the dried variety.
Another idea is to substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream for loads of tang, or go half-and -half with the sour cream and yogurt. Either way this appetizer dip is awesome.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST SOUR CREAM CHIP DIP
Be sure to let the dip sit in a covered bowl in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving it. That gives time for all the flavors to blend, and the dried herbs to soften by absorbing some of the moisture in the sour cream.
If the dip becomes too thick to easily scoop (moisture in the sour cream and the spices can vary) add a teaspoon of milk and stir to combine. Add more milk as needed until it’s the consistency you like.
This chip dip works well as a veggie dip too. Serve with bell pepper strips, carrot sticks or even potato wedges. It’s light and creamy and adds lots of zip to whatever you’re dipping.
Our favorite way to enjoy this creamy dip to serve it a variety of dippers like potato chips, pretzels, crackers, cucumber slices and other vegetables to have something for everyone.
More Easy Dip Recipes
- Easy Dill Pickle Dip
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Easy Spinach Dip
- White Cheddar Herb Dip
- Cherry Cheesecake Yogurt Dip
- Jalapeno Popper Dip
Sour Cream Chip Dip
- In a medium bowl, stir in all ingredients until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to blend.
- Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
recipe revised 8/11/2020