Roast Beef and Havarti Cheese Crostini is a canape’ of crispy toasted bread topped with luscious roast beef and simple cheese dip. It’s super simple finger food that’s easy to make and perfect for the holidays!
To me, the perfect appetizer is simple to make, packed with so much flavor your taste buds tingle and must be super versatile. Whether you’re looking for just an easy holiday appetizer recipe for Christmas, New Year’s Eve or any other celebration, this one belongs in your easy recipes collection.
To create this amazing crostini app, we paired deli roast beef with our delicious Creamy Havarti Cheese Dip. The combination is a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
So what is Crostini?
In Italian, the word crostini means little toasts. They’re small slices of toasted bread, usually from a white bread baguette, that are brushed with olive oil.
Built upon a crostini, even a simple appetizer like this delicious roast beef crostini can become an amazing party appetizer.
For a great time saver, you can buy already toasted crostini. All you need to do is pile on the toppings!
Ingredients Needed to Make Roast Beef Crostini Appetizers
This is such an easy appetizer to make and one of our favorites for the holiday season. This elegant holiday appetizer makes a lot of crostini, so enjoy!
- Roast Beef – We used a high quality roast beef like Angus top round roast beef for this recipe. The deli was asked to slice it for sandwiches…not thick or really thin…which will tear easily.
- Havarti Cheese – for this recipe we picked up a 4-ounce block from the deli and shredded our cheese on a box grater.
- French Bread Loaf – a one pound (16- ounce) long loaf. Use a very sharp knife to cut into 24 (1/2-inch slices), or ask the bakery to cut it for you.
- Olive Oil – a thin layer will keep the toasted bread from getting soggy from the greens on top.
- Mixed Green Lettuce Leaves – we bought a package of spring mix to make these.
- Mayonnaise – adds creaminess to the cheese mixture. The fat keeps the other ingredients from separating.
- Sour Cream – adds tang to the cheese mixture. Used instead of all mayonnaise to keep the cheese mixture smooth and light.
- Roasted Red Pepper – adds flavor, texture and color to the cheese dip.
- Green Onion – for subtle onion flavor and color.
- Fresh Chives – optional garnish to add flavor and color.
How to Make Roast Beef and Havarti Cheese Crostini
This is such an easy appetizer to make and one of our favorites for the holiday season.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the shredded Havarti, mayonnaise, sour cream and black pepper. Add the chopped roasted red pepper and green onion to the cheese mixture and gently stir to blend. Set aside for now.
- Place the oven rack on upper third of oven. Preheat your broiler to High setting. If you don’t have a broiler setting on your oven, heat oven to 450 F on center rack and bake bread slices until golden on the bottom, then turn over and bake until other side is toasted. You’ll need to watch the bread so it doesn’t burn on the bottom. Or use the broil setting on a toaster oven if you have one.
- With a sharp knife, slice the bread loaf into 24 ( 1/2-inch thick) pieces. Place the bread slices on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and broil the bread slices until golden, about 1 – 2 minutes. Turn the bread over and broil an additional 1 -2 minutes until golden. You’ll want both sides of bread slices to be toasted.
- Brush one side of the toasted bread lightly with olive oil. Top each bread slice with 2 – 3 green lettuce leaves. Fold roast beef slices and place on top of the leaves.
- Top each piece of roast beef with a heaping teaspoon of the dip and garnish with fresh chives. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Refrigerate any leftovers in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Substitutions and Add-Ins for Roast Beef Crostini
- Try little gems lettuce or pieces of arugula instead of mixed lettuce leaves.
- Like it zesty? How about adding a tablespoon horseradish or horseradish cream sauce to the cheese mixture?
- Swap out the chives for a tomato slice for extra festive color and flavor.
- For more creaminess, spread cream cheese over the crostini instead of olive oil.
- Love it savory? Crown the cheese with strands of caramelized onions!
More Great Appetizers to Enjoy
- Blueberry Honey Crostini
- Cherry Pistachio Crostini
- Mini Grilled Cheese Appetizer
- Easy Egg Dill Crostini
- Mini Grilled Cheese with Apple
Roast Beef and Havarti Crostini
For the Cheese Dip
- 4 ounces Havarti Cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper optional
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper diced, from a jar
- 1 stalk green onion thinly sliced, green only
For the Crostini
- 16 ounce french bread cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups mixed green lettuce
- fresh chives optional
- 8 ounces roast beef deli sliced, divided into 24 pieces
Make The Cheese Dip
- In a medium bowl, stir together shredded cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream and black pepper. Add roasted red pepper and green onion to cheese mixture and gently stir to blend.
Prepare the Crostini and Assemble
- Place rack on upper third of oven. Preheat broiler to High.
- With sharp knife, slice bread loaf into 24 pieces. Place bread slices on baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to oven, broil until golden, about 1 – 2 minutes. Turn bread over and broil additional 1 -2 minutes until golden.
- Brush one side of bread lightly with olive oil. Top each bread slice with 2 – 3 green leaves. Roll up roast beef slice and place on top of leaves.
- Top each with heaping teaspoon of dip and garnish with fresh chives. Serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.