Creamy Havarti Cheese Dip is a perfect appetizer that’s a cinch to make with only 5 simple ingredients. Perfect for holiday and game day entertaining!
If you’re not familiar with Havarti, it’s the little black dress of cheeses. Originally from Denmark, it is lusciously smooth and has a subtle sweetness. It’s sliceable, shreddable and goes with everything!
This dip is similar to the Jarlsberg cheese dip you may have tried from the deli. Our naturally keto cheese dip is made with shredded Havarti cheese, mayo, sour cream, green onions (Jarlsberg dip usually uses red onion, we used green to keep the onion flavor subtle), and roasted red peppers.
This irresistibly easy holiday appetizer is so much fresher than anything you can buy at the store and more budget friendly too!
Why Make Your Own Cheese Dip?
Whether you’re looking to save money, add more flavor to your boring dips, or feeling adventurous, you should give making your own cheese dips a try. Most of our dip recipes take less than 10 minutes, and you get bragging rights that you made it yourself!
The Number 1 reason we make our own cheese dip recipes is freshness. When you make your own dip you don’t need additives and preservatives because it won’t be transported from a factory and have to last for days on store shelves.
Our Number 2 reason is being able to control the ingredients. When making your own, you control the brand, the sodium level and whether or not the ingredients are organic or not.
For Number 3 it’s the cost. Pre-made cheese dips are mighty expensive at the grocery store, whether you’re buying from the deli or a brand made off-site by a private manufacturer. You can generally make your own for about one-half the cost of pre-made dips.
Ingredients Needed to Make Havarti Cheese Dip
- Havarti Cheese – a semi-soft cheese that’s smooth and buttery. It also shreds and melts beautifully.
- Roasted Red Bell Peppers – adds nice color and compliments the flavor of the cheese. For convenience, we love to use jarred roasted red peppers. For this recipe you won’t need a whole jar, so put the rest in the fridge to use later.
- Mayonnaise – blends the dip recipe ingredients and has enough fat so keep the dip from separating.
- Sour Cream – adds tang and lightens up a dip mixed with only mayonnaise.
- Green Onions – adds color and subtle onion flavor that won’t overpower the mild flavor of the cheese.
How To Make Easy Havarti Cheese Dip
- Start by grating the cheese. Shred your block of Havarti using the largest size shred of the box grater. A 4 ounce block will net approximately 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cup Havarti cheese,1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/3 cup sour cream and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup roasted red pepper and onion to cheese mixture and gently stir to blend.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap or lid and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let flavors blend. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. Best served cold or at room temperature.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can I use a different kind of cheese to make this dip?
Yes, you can! This recipe is totally delicious and a little tangy when made with Swiss cheese. Provolone cheese is amazing as well as any kind of cheddar.
This recipe is very versatile and works well with any cheese that can be shredded easily.
Add Ins and Substitutions
We love this recipe and it’s one of the great appetizers we make every holiday. The really good thing about this recipe is how versatile it is and how easy it is to switch out the ingredients to use what you have.
- Though we think this dip is perfect as it is, there is lot’s of room to make it your own.
- Try adding a tablespoon of dill weed to make dill havarti cheese dip. Or chop up a dill pickle to stir into the mixture. If you love dill, it’s incredible!
- Give it more texture and a little tang by sprinkling the dip with parmesan cheese. Yum!
- No fresh onions, or for more onion flavor….add a teaspoon of onion powder while blending the mayo with the sour cream. Same goes with garlic powder if you want to add garlic flavor to the dip.
- Like it spicy? Add hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne to amp up the heat.
- If you don’t have sour cream, substitute Greek yogurt or softened cream cheese. Combine cream cheese with a tablespoon or two of milk to thin it out.
How To Serve this Easy Holiday Appetizer
We love to serve this creamy cheese dip with a variety of dippers like fresh vegetables, thin crisps crackers, mini pretzels, tortilla chips and potato chips. This is a naturally low-carb appetizer, so pork rinds are absolutely essential!!
Can You Freeze Havarti Cheese Dip?
We don’t recommend freezing a dip with this much dairy. It will likely separate during the freezing and thawing.
It only takes a few minutes to make and is super simple. Use any leftovers on sandwiches or burgers or make our incredible Roast Beef and Havarti Cheese Crostini!
More Cheesy Dips to Enjoy
- Best Sour Cream Chip Dip Recipe
- Easy Shrimp Scampi Dip
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Easy Spinach Dip Recipe
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip Recipe
Havarti Cheese Dip
- 4 ounces Havarti Cheese shredded , about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper optional
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper diced, from a jar
- 1 stalk green onion thinly sliced, green only
- In a medium bowl, stir together shredded cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream and black pepper.
- Add roasted red pepper and green onion to cheese mixture and gently stir to blend.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap or lid and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let flavors blend.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.