20 Minute Mini Grilled Cheese Appetizers are a twist on the classic everyone loves. Full of melted cheese, these diner style mini cheese sandwiches will disappear fast!
There is something about cheese and all it’s possibilities that get’s my heart racing and taste buds primed. So, with summer entertaining just around the corner, I thought I would try this cute little appetizer that I had heard of, but never made before. These 20 Minute Mini Grilled Cheese Appetizers are just what you need for your next party. They’re rich and delicious, handheld and they’ are totally customizable! Do you need another excuse to up and make these this weekend? It’s also a good thing that I got the back porch cleaned up last weekend or I wouldn’t have a place to serve up all this summer goodness! The final touch would be to serve these with an amazing and refreshing cocktail, like an Orange Ginger Rummy.
Reasons to love this 20 Minute Mini Grilled Cheese Appetizer recipe:
- Easy to make and ready in just 20 minutes!
- Versatile – substitute in your favorite cheeses.
- Leftovers keep in the refrigerator for days – just heat and crisp up in the toaster oven.
- Family friendly – kid tested – they love these little sandwiches!
WHAT IS DINER STYLE GRILLED CHEESE?
Diner style when talking about grilled cheese cooking refers to two things. 1) Using mayonnaise instead of butter to coat the outside of the bread. Mayonnaise spreads better than butter does and has a higher smoke point, so it doesn’t burn as easily. Plus, mayonnaise browns nicely because of the oil and egg it contains. This all makes a beautiful, richer tasting sandwich than butter. And 2) slow, flat cooking. Cooking at a low temperature on a flat grill allows the sandwich to develop a crisp, golden crust while melting the cheese inside. Cooking in a too small skillet allows the moisture to create steam and leaves a soggy, greasy crust.
Tips to make the best 20 Minute Mini Grilled Cheese Appetizers:
- Use a fresh baguette – these mini sandwiches taste and toast with fresh bread.
- Ask the person behind the counter to slice the baguette for you; makes life so much easier
- I always say this but the best results start with the best ingredients – buy organic if possible
- Use real mayonnaise. The oil and eggs give the bread its golden color and creamy taste.
- Heat your skillet or griddle to medium heat or lower to cook the appetizers; too high heat will burn the bread before the cheese as melted.
- Serve these little appetizers with a zingy dipping sauce to contrast with the mild cheese flavors.
Helpful Tools and Ingredients to make the best 20 Minute Mini Grilled Cheese Appetizers:
Cast Iron Grill Pan – I love this pan and own it myself! It is reversible for griddle and grill cooking. I have even used it outside on the grill to cook vegetables on. A MUST HAVE!
20 Minute Mini Grilled Cheese Appetizers
- In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients for Honey Chili Sauce. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- On a baking sheet or parchment paper, lay out 24 slices of bread. Using a knife, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise over one side of bread then place the bread mayonnaise side down on baking sheet. Divide half of the mayonnaise between 24 slices of bread.
- Put a slice of cheddar and a slice of gruyere on each piece of bread. Salt and pepper as needed.
- Spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard on one side of each of the remaining 24 slices of bread, then place each bread slice Dijon side down on top of the slices of cheese, making a little sandwich.
- Spread the remaining half of the mayonnaise in a thin layer on the top side of each sandwich. Both sides of each sandwich should be spread with mayonnaise.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Working in batches, add the mini sandwiches and cook until lightly brown, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the sandwiches over and continue cooking until both sides are golden and the cheese is melted, about another 3 minutes.
- Allow the sandwiches to cool slightly, then open sandwich top and place lettuce inside.
- Serve with Honey Chili Sauce.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
updated photos 9/4/2018