This creamy hot bean dip recipe is loaded with refried beans, melted cheese, silky sour cream, and zesty spices. It’s made in the slow cooker for easy, stay-warm serving or in the oven with a luscious cheese on top!
Easy Hot Bean Dip is just right for serving a hearty, warm dip to your game day or party snack table. We love making simple and tasty dip recipes like our Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Best Sour Cream Chip Dip, and Cream Cheese Fruit Dip This is one of our Appetizer recipes you’ll want to keep in your recipe box!
This is my go-to cheesy bean dip recipe that’s always a crowd pleaser. The simple ingredients are similar to our fan favorite patriotic layer dip, but this super cheesy bean dip is served HOT! We used a combination of both sour cream and cream cheese to make it marvelously smooth and creamy. It’s a great recipe for cool weather entertaining like fall tailgating, gameday parties and potlucks.
We love this insulated bag set for taking hot food and dips on the go.
Ingredients for Hot Bean Dip
- Refried Beans – an essential ingredient for bean dip.
- Sour Cream – smooths out the beans and adds tang.
- Cream Cheese – adds creaminess and flavor.
- Salsa – thins out the dip and is a shortcut ingredient to add tomato, onion and jalapeno to the dip.
- Mexican Blend Cheese – a must-have for bean dip to compliment the flavors.
- Chili Powder – adds more heat and spice on top of the salsa..
- Garlic Powder – just a hint to build the flavor of the dip.
- Cumin – a Mexican flavor staple.
This post may contain affiliate links, see our disclosure here.
How to make Hot Bean Dip
This tasty dip is simple to make either in the slow cooker or the oven. The slow cooker method is our favorite way to make this dip, but if we need it faster, we’ll throw it in the oven instead. We love the gooey cheese coming out of the oven! The ingredients remain the same, but in the oven version half the cheese is melted on top.
- Dump all the ingredients into the slow cooker insert and stir to combine.
- Set the cooker to LOW and cook for 2 – 3 hours or until the cheeses are melted and dip is hot. (cook time will vary depending on size and brand of the slow cooker). Serve right in the cooker on WARM or LOW heat to keep the dip hot. Serve with tortilla chips.
We love making and serving this hot dip in a 2-quart slow cooker. It’s the perfect size to both cook and serve in.
We keep the slow cooker plugged in on the counter for safety and set to LOW so the dip stays hot. If the dip starts getting thick, we stir in a little more salsa to keep the bean dip at the right consistency for chip dipping.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spray a 8 x8 x 2 or larger (no bigger than 9 x 13) pan with cooking spray. A cast iron skillet is great for baking because the handle makes it so convenient to move around.
- In a large bowl, add the cream cheese and sour cream and stir together. Stir in the spices. Add the refried beans, salsa, and half the shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
- Scrape into prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle on remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes until heated thru and cheese is melted and browning. Throw pan under the broiler set to HIGH for a minute or two to get the cheese crispy on top if desired. Serve hot with tortilla chips.
Flavor Variations and Add-Ins
- Substitute a packet of taco seasoning instead of adding the recipe spices.
- We love Mexican blend cheese for this recipe, but we’ve also made it with cheddar cheese and monterey jack cheese with delicious results.
- Top or add green onions, canned green chiles or olives for heat and flavor.
- Add cooked ground beef, sausage or shredded chicken for a super hearty dip.
What to serve with Hot Bean Dip
This dip is thick and heart, so it needs a sturdy chip like tortilla or pita chips. Pretzels are good too. Why not try dipping veggies like cherry tomatoes or thick cut bell peppers using picks, fondue style. Less calories and so tasty!
If you’re setting out a spread, mix it up by serving a cold dip alongside. Our popular Best Sour Cream Chip Dip and Quick French Onion Dip (made with seasoning packet) compliment the creamy hot dip and are incredible with the same dippers!
How to store Easy Hot Bean Dip
If you have leftover dip made in the slow cooker (we rarely do) store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pan on the stove until heated back thru. If the dip is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of milk or water and stir to thin the dip right up.
If you made the dip in the oven, store in an airtight container or wrap the entire pan in a layer of plastic wrap and place in the fridge for up to 5 days until re-heating in the microwave or oven.
💡TIP – here’s how to maintain your top cheese layer while thinning out the bean dip underneath. While the dip is cold, lift the cheese layer off the top of the bean dip underneath with a spatula and set on a plate. Stir a little milk or water into the dip to thin. Replace the cheese layer on top and re-heat.
Can I make Hot Bean Dip ahead of time?
Sure you can! Both the slow cooker and oven methods will work made ahead of time. Here’s how:
Make Ahead Using the Slow Cooker:
Stir all the ingredients into the slow cooker insert, cover with plastic wrap and store the insert right in the refrigerator. Set the insert on the counter 30 minutes before cooking to warm up a little before setting into the slow cooker heating unit. This prevents you’re ceramic insert from cracking. Then follow the slow cooker recipe directions.
Make Ahead Using the Oven Recipe:
Follow the oven method recipe below, but wait to add the top cheese layer until right before baking. Wrap the pan in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until baking. Uncover, sprinkle on the shredded cheese and bake according to the recipe instructions.
TIP – We recommend prepping the bean dip no more than one day ahead.
Easy Hot Bean Dip
Slow Cooker Method
- Add all ingredients to 4-quart or larger slow cooker insert. Stir to combine.
- Cook 2 – 3 hours on LOW. Stir occasionally during cook time. Set cooker to WARM setting (if available). Stir before serving right from the slow cooker.
- Set cooker to WARM setting (if available).or keep cooker on LOW setting. Uncover and serve in the slow cooker.
- Serve with tortilla chips and vegetables for dipping.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 8 x 8 x 2 or larger baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix sour cream and cream cheese together in a large bowl. Stir in chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt. Mix in refried beans, salsa and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Spread mixture into bottom of baking pan. Top evenly with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes until cheese is melted and browned on top. For extra crisp cheese, place pan under the broiler set to HIGH for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips and vegetables for dipping.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.