Mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Pepper Cheese and Apples are a quick crispy, chewy, melt-in-your-mouth cheesy appetizer that only looks fancy. Great for Game Day, Tailgating, holidays or anytime you need a quick appetizer!
Friends I am at it again. I just cannot stay away from these delicious little grilled cheese sandwiches! I love that they are cooked diner style…meaning mayonnaise on the outside of the bread instead of butter. Fried bread and gooey cheese on the inside is just too good to resist.
Either way you cook these grilled cheese sandwiches, whether mayo or butter on the outside, they are delish. The hot jack cheese is balanced by the sweet apple slice, and honey mustard sauce works to tie all the flavors together. As the finale, dip these little sandwiches into honey before biting in and you will understand why these little sandwiches are so addictive. Yum!
Tips to make the best Mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
- Use a fresh baguette – these mini sandwiches taste and toast with fresh bread.
- Ask the person behind the counter to slice the baguette for you; makes life so much easier
- I always say this but the best results start with the best ingredients – buy organic if possible
- Use real mayonnaise. The oil and eggs give the bread its golden color and creamy taste.
- Heat your skillet or griddle to medium heat or lower to cook the appetizers; too high heat will burn the bread before the cheese as melted.
- Serve these little appetizers with a zingy dipping sauce to contrast with the mild cheese flavors.
What is Diner Style Grilled Cheese?
- Diner style for grilled cheese cooking refers to two things. 1) Using mayonnaise instead of butter to coat the outside of the bread. Mayonnaise spreads better than butter does and has a higher smoke point, so it doesn’t burn as easily. Plus, mayonnaise browns nicely because of the oil and egg it contains. This all makes a beautiful, richer tasting sandwich than butter. And 2) slow, flat cooking. Cooking at a low temperature on a flat grill allows the sandwich to develop a crisp, golden crust while melting the cheese inside. Cooking in a too small skillet allows the moisture to create steam and leaves a soggy, greasy crust.
Helpful Tools and Ingredients to make Mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
Cast Iron Grill Pan – I love this pan and own it myself! It is reversible for griddle and grill cooking. I have even used it outside on the grill to cook vegetables on. A MUST HAVE!
Craving more? Subscribe to MUST LOVE HOME , to get new recipes, our Newsletter , offers and updates delivered straight to your inbox.! Let’s stay connected… follow MUST LOVE HOME on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER .Print
Mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Pepper Cheese and Apples are a quick crispy, chewy, melt-in-your-mouth cheesy appetizer that only looks fancy.
- 1 French Baguette, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 1 pound pepper jack cheese, sliced and divided into 24
- 1 pound gruyere, sliced and divided into 24
- 1/4 cup honey mustard sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and cut into 12 wedges each
- 1/3 cup honey for serving
- On a baking sheet or parchment paper, lay out 24 slices of baguette. Using a knife, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise over one side of bread then place the bread mayonnaise side down on baking sheet. Divide half of the mayonnaise between 24 slices of bread.
- Put a slice of pepper jack and a slice of gruyere on each piece of baguette, then a slice of apple wedge. Salt and pepper as desired.
- Spread a thin layer of honey mustard on one side of each of the remaining 24 slices, then place each slice honey mustard side down on top of the slices of cheese, making a little sandwich.
- Spread the remaining half of the mayonnaise in a thin layer on the top side of each sandwich. Both sides of each sandwich should be spread with mayonnaise.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Working in batches, add the mini sandwiches and cook until lightly brown, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the sandwiches over and continue cooking until both sides are golden and the cheese is melted, about another 3 minutes.
- Allow the sandwiches to cool slightly.
- Serve with Honey for dipping.
Keywords: grilledcheese, recipe, gameday, appetizer, tailgating