Pico De Gallo is a cool mixture of tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion and seasonings – a south of the border favorite that takes only minutes to make!
My first experience with Pico De Gallo was at the Alamo Cafe in San Antonio, Texas. A group of native Texan friends convinced me that everyone who comes to San Antonio should experience a meal there. I’m so glad I went! Not only was the cafe absolutely charming, the food was wonderful. Chicken Quesadillas I ordered came with a little pot of Pico De Gallo on the side Trying to look like I knew what I was doing, I jumped right in and smothered my quesadilla with the mix of tomato, onions and peppers. It was love at first bite!
What started out as just one of this foodie’s favorites in Texas has turned into a hobby to find new ways to use Pico De Gallo. It has just the right flavor to top so many things like grilled chicken, burgers, tacos, eggs, mixed into veggies and crackers.
REASONS WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It takes only minutes to make and adds incredible flavor to any dish
- With fresh tomato, onion and jalapeno, it is a tasty and healthy alternative to heavy sauces
- Contains tomatoes, which are a rich source of antioxidants, Vitamin A and Vitamin C
- Pico De Gallo is versatile; use it alone as a dip, add it to melted cheese for incredible Queso, or spoon it over baked potatoes to name a few
TIPS AND HINTS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT PICO DE GALLO RECIPE
- Fresh lime juice is essential for this recipe. Use fresh squeezed lime juice for the best flavor with no added sugar.
- Using fresh herbs is always best when the recipe calls for it, though sometimes the grocer doesn’t carry them or they are not in season. When this happens I use re-hydrated herbs. Just soak the herbs in a few drops of water and the herb re-hydrates to almost fresh. You can find jars of dehydrated herbs in the spice aisle or produce section of most grocery stores.
- I always say this, but the best results start with quality ingredients, so use the best produce you can afford. Buy organic if possible.
LOOKING FOR MORE TEX-MEX STYLE RECIPES?
- Homemade Tortilla Chips – fresh, crisp and better than store-bought
- Texas Chicken Chili – The Lone Star state comes to your kitchen
- Lime Marinated Chicken Tacos – Tex-Mex flavor explosion in a shell
- Poblano Chicken Fiesta – chicken with a kick
- Mexican Chorizo Rice – Hearty Tex-Mex main dish or side
- Zesty Tomatillo and Lime Sauce – so much more than a sauce
- Easy Mexican Sopas – Masa cake appetizer
- Tequila Queso Fundito – Party Queso with a boozy kick
Tex-Mex Spicy Deviled Eggs – traditional with a Tex-Mex flair
Ingredients used to make Perfect Pico De Gallo recipe:
- Fresh Limes – these stars of the produce aisle add amazing freshness and aroma.
- Red Onions – milder than other onions and add beautiful color to any uncooked dish. They are crisp, slightly sweet but still have plenty of onion flavor.
Perfect Pico De Gallo Recipe
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
- 6 roma tomatoes, quartered lengthwise, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium jalepeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice, about 1/2 medium lime
- 1 -1/2 tsp dried Cilantro, or 3 tablespoons fresh, minced
- salt and pepper
- Place all of the ingredients into a small bowl and stir until well blended. Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
Post updated January 2019