Zesty Tomatillo and Lime Sauce is tomatillos, serrano chiles and onion, roasted then combined with lime and seasonings to make an amazing sauce that’s perfect with chips, as a marinade and much more.
Friends, I love any kind of Mexican style cuisine, authentic or not. There, I said it…and I say loudly, right now, that I am not an expert in any way regarding Mexican food, but I love to try cooking my own version in the kitchen. I have tried a few recipes using tomatillos and love the flavor, so when I saw a version of this recipe in Cooking Light, I had to try it!
What are Tomatillos?
Tomatillos are part of the nightshade family…and aren’t they gorgeous? I have also seen them referred to the Mexican Husk Tomato and the Mexican Groundcherry. They are commonly used to make Salsa Verde.
How To Make Zesty Tomatillo and Lime Sauce or Salsa Verde
- Lay out the vegetables on a sheet pan. Broil until soft and charred in spots.
- Cool the vegetables on the pan, then dump the entire pan into a food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth.
The food processor does all of the work. Could it be much easier?
Zesty Tomatillo and Lime Sauce
- 7 medium tomatillos
- 2 medium serrano chiles
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat broiler and place rack 6 inches from heat. Place whole, peeled tomatillos, chile and quartered onion in a single layer on rimmed baking pan. Broil until tomatillos are soft and browned, about 15 minutes. Turn vegetables at 7-1/2 minutes. Cool on pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables with any pan liquid to a food processor or blender. Add garlic,cilantro,water,oil,juice, honey and salt. Process until almost smooth.
- Serve at room temperature or store in the refrigerator in a covered dish for up to 1 week.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.