Poblano Chicken Fiesta is a tasty mix of chicken, spicy peppers and cheese that’s out of this world flavorful. It’s easy Tex Mex with simple ingredients!
POBLANO CHICKEN FIESTA
We love Tex-Mex cooking and dreaming up new southwestern recipes, like this Poblano Chicken Fiesta, has become a passion for me. You an never go wrong with chicken, peppers and melted cheese!
I was at the grocery store a few weeks back when I happened to be grabbing the last on-sale package of raspberries the same time as someone else. That someone else turned out to be a local chef and we got to talking…about chicken recipes.
He told me about a technique he used with poblano peppers. I got to thinking and Poblano Chicken Fiesta was born! My family always wonders why it takes me so long when I go to the grocery…now you know!
WHAT ARE POBLANO PEPPERS?
Poblano Peppers are named for Puebla, Mexico, where they are thought to originated. Poblano’s are Mexico’s most popular mild chili pepper. This is very understandable when you know that dried red poblano peppers are also called ancho peppers.
The pepper is light green, about as large as a sweet bell pepper, but thinner and have a pointy end. They can be eaten raw or cooked, but are frequently roasted.
Ingredients To Make Poblano Chicken Fiesta
- Chicken Breast – the boneless, skinless variety. You can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you only like dark meat chicken.
- Poblano Peppers – we picked the largest ones we could find, about 4 inches long.
- Monterey Jack Cheese – or cheddar. We shredded our own for the best melting.
- Taco Seasoning – one packet of seasoning or make homemade taco seasoning.
- Olive Oil
- Vinegar – white distilled vinegar is what we used for this recipe.
- Lime – you’ll need the juice of one lime.
More Popular Chicken Recipes to Try:
Poblano Chicken Fiesta
- 2.5 pounds chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 large poblano peppers
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese slices or shredded
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning 1 packet
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 medium lime
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Pico de Gallo and Sour Cream for garnish optional
- In medium bowl, whisk taco seasoning, oil, vinegar, water, juice of lime and pepper. Place chicken breast halves into a large ziploc storage bag and pour marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and work the marinade around until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the grill to 350°F.
- Place the whole peppers on preheated medium grill and cook until blackened on all sides. Remove from the heat and immediately place in a plastic bag to let the peppers sweat for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the peppers and the skin should easily peel off of each one. When peeled, slice in half and clean out the seeds. Set aside.
- Cook chicken on medium grill for 5 minutes on each side chicken has reached internal temp of at least 165°F. Lay one pepper slice on each chicken breast and cover with cheese. Cook over low heat with the lid closed until the cheese melts. Place on a serving plate, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with pico de gallo and sour cream.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.