Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup with black beans, tomatoes, green chilies and chipotle peppers is a deliciously zesty and comforting meal made quick and easy in your pressure cooker.
At my house, four hungry adults and one opinionated 3 year old have been hunkered down together for months, so naturally I escaped to the kitchen. Strangely, no one follows me in here – hmmm? In my blissfully quiet kitchen, I’ve been trying out Instant Pot recipes and this is a favorite. With only about 200 calories per serving, there’s bonus points for being low calorie too!
Honestly, this is my kind of soup recipe – no sauteing, frying or blending…just throw all the ingredients into an Instant Pot, set the time and viola, you have delicious Tex-Mex chicken soup. The Instant Pot’s become my favorite way to cook – once I overcame my fears and learned how to use the dang thing.
My son bought me an Instant Pot a few years back but I literally ignored it except to make rice. It seemed too hard to learn all the buttons, too scary (horror stories of pressure cookers exploding) and none of my favorite recipes seemed right for pressure cooking. All this time on my hands has been a blessing…I have mastered the Instant Pot – well, at least the pressure cooking buttons.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP
- Chicken Breasts – boneless, skinless chicken breasts are perfect for this recipe, but thighs will work too! You can use frozen chicken too, just add three minutes to the cooking time.
- Black Beans – one can of black beans, rinsed and drained. How easy is that?
- Diced Tomatoes – canned diced tomatoes make this recipe easy, but feel free to chop up fresh tomatoes if you like.
- Green Chilies – they disappear into the mix, but adds an extra something to the flavor.
- Red Onion – the sweetest of the onions, this variety is mild and delicious. You can sub yellow or white onions if that’s what you have.
- Chicken Broth – if you use low-sodium broth, you might need to add some salt when the soup is done.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo – an essential ingredient for adding spice and Tex-Mex flavor! Use leftovers to make Instant Pot Beef Mexicana!
- Tomato Paste – for flavor and added body to the soup broth.
- Cilantro – fresh and earthy flavor.
- Corn – add last, after the cooking is done, just to heat up the kernels.
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
MORE SOUP RECIPE IDEAS
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup
- 2 medium chicken breasts boneless, skinless (about 1 pound)
- 15 ounce black beans rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes
- 7 ounce green chilies
- 1/2 medium red onion chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium chipotle pepper in adobo
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup corn kernels
- avocado slices, sour cream, tomato and cilantro for garnish optional
- Add all ingredients except corn to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Lock on lid and turn vent to "Sealing". Set Instant Pot to Pressure Cook – High Pressure. Use the (+/-) buttons to manually set cook time to 12 minutes. When cooking is done, allow Instant Pot to natural release for 5 minutes, then carefully turn vent to "venting" and let remaining steam to vent. Carefully open lid.
- Remove the cooked chicken breasts from the Instant Pot and shred into bite size pieces. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and stir to combine.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with avocado slices, sour cream, chopped tomato and cilantro.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.