Hearty and healthy, Curry Lentil and Coconut Soup is a vegetarian delight! This soup has amazing texture,with added zest from tomato, garlic, onion and ginger. This soup is so delicious that even meat lovers are raving!
Well Helloooo Friends,
Let me introduce you to one of my good friends….curry powder! This vegetarian Curry Lentil and Coconut Soup recipe uses a lot of quality ingredients that I am starting to incorporate more into a healthier eating plan. Seriously trying anyway! I only said healthier because there are things I am not ready to do without like fried onion rings. Really, I would admit I am an “onion ring lover” but it just has no ring to it!!
I want to tell you more about a couple of the ingredients that are called “Super Foods”!
- unsweetened coconut milk – source of iron, copper, magnesium and protein
- ginger – powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, may relieve nausea
- red lentils – a super source of protein and fiber
These are just a few of the benefits that I found. I truly make no claims about being a doctor, or dietitian or anyone with professional cred. Let me say it loudly…not a nutritionist! ! I’m just someone that loves food and trying to find something better for my family. I would love for you to share what you know about any of the ingredients in the comments so we will all know more!
Besides the amazing flavor with the curry, soup-friendly red lentils only take about 20 minutes to cook. This fresh and delish soup is totally ready to eat in 45 minutes.
Here is the handy printable recipe…let’s dig in!
Hearty and healthy, Curry Lentil and Coconut Soup is a vegetarian delight, but this soup has so much flavor that is will have meat lovers raving as well.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 2-1/2 inch ginger stem, peeled and finely grated (about 1-1/2 tsp)
- 1 TBSP medium curry powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 13.5 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, divided
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- *Extra cilantro, lime wedges, salt, pepper and reserved coconut milk for serving
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often until softened and turning golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder and red pepper flakes and cook about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add lentils and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, salt, pepper and water. Stir.
- Set aside 1/4 cup coconut milk for serving and add remaining coconut milk to saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and stirring occasionally, simmer until lentils are soft, but not mushy, 20 – 25 minutes.
- Season soup with more salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, divide soup into bowls and drizzle with reserved coconut milk and sprinkle additional cilantro on top. Serve with lime wedges.
Soup (without toppings) can be made 3 days ahead. Store covered in refrigerator.
If you love delicious vegetarian soup, you may want to check out my recipe for Copycat Olive Garden Minestrone Soup.