Spicy and delicious, this hearty, vegetarian Tequila Black Bean Soup takes BOLD flavor to the next level. Tequila makes every bowlful a party! Loaded with Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, jalapeno peppers and real black beans, this soup is a perfect side dish for tacos, burritos and quesadillas, or it can be a meal in itself. Make the soup even more fabulous by topping with tortilla strips, cheese, cilantro and lime wedges!
Now I’ve done it. I just spiked the soup. What can I say? It just seemed like the right thing to do.
I told my reluctant family that a new recipe for Black Bean Soup was for dinner – no response. I told my reluctant family that the new recipe was Tequila Black Bean Soup – heads snapped around and eyes lit up. Hmm, I’m going to have to think on that.
Here is the handy printable recipe. Enjoy!Print
Spicy and delicious, this hearty, vegetarian Tequila Black Bean Soup takes BOLD flavor to the next level. Loaded with Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, jalapeno peppers and real black beans, this soup is a perfect side dish for tacos, burritos and quesadillas, or it can be a meal in itself. Make the soup even more fabulous by topping with tortilla strips, cheese, cilantro and lime wedges!
- 2 teaspoons chipotle puree, from 1 can (7 ounce) Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce – see note below
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup Tequila
- 1 pound dry black beans (do not soak)
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- *optional for serving -tortilla strips, shredded cheese, cilantro and lime wedges
- Puree the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce in a blender or processor until smooth. Scrape into a container and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add the read and green peppers, onions and garlic and cook, stirring until vegetables are softened, not browned, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add jalapeno and cook until just softened, about 2 minutes. Push vegetables to the side of the pot and add 2 tsp of chipotle puree into the center. Fry for 1 minutes, then stir together with the vegetables.
- Add the Tequila and reduce slightly, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add dry beans, stock,oregano,cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Over medium high heat, bring to a boil. Let boil 10-15 minutes, then reduce heat to simmer and cook until the beans are just softened, 1-2 hours. Add hot water as needed during cooking to keep the soup liquid.
- If soup is too thin, remove a small amount and use an immersion blender or processor to puree. Add the puree back into the pot. Repeat as needed until desired thickness.
NOTE – To make Chipotle puree – add 7 ounce can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce to food processor. Process until smooth. Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Note – additional toppings for serving are sour cream, chives, avacado slices and crushed tortilla chips.
Keywords: tequila,black beans,soup,dinner
If you love hearty vegetarian soup you may like Curry Lentil and Coconut Soup!
Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments below, on Facebook and Google + or find me on Instagram . Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”17741″ img_size=”900×200″][/vc_column][/vc_row]