Juicy, tangy and sweetened with maple syrup, Egg Sausage Breakfast Sliders are a delicious way to feed a hungry family or get Game Day started. Tailgaters and party-goers alike will rave over these easy to make sliders piled high with herb laced eggs, pork sausage and melted cheese!
Savory breakfast sliders, topped with eggs, sausage and cheese, then brushed with melted maple butter is complete breakfast nirvana. Best of all, no utensils needed! Nothing beats a simple breakfast sandwich you can eat with your hands.
These breakfast sliders are totally fool-proof to make and easily feed a large group. This crowd favorite is perfect for brunch, parties and is a favorite holiday breakfast as well.
Ingredients For Breakfast Sliders
- Slider Rolls – we prefer round slider buns for this recipe but Hawaiian buns are a tasty sweet option.
- Eggs – fluffy scrambled eggs are quick and easy to make.
- Sausage – be sure to use breakfast sausage, either bulk or sold in a roll, for the best flavor.
- Cheese – cheddar cheese is a classic pairing with sausage and eggs. Use shredded or sliced. Other easy melting cheese like gruyere, swiss and provolone work perfectly too.
- Butter – unsalted butter is our choice here.
- Maple Syrup – pure maple syrup is our first choice, but pancake syrup will work in a pinch.
How To Make Breakfast Sliders
Get started by lightly buttering the baking pan. If you like non-stick spray then use that, but I like to use butter rather than spray so the bottom of the buns pick up the delicious butter flavor.
Evenly divide the cheese between the slider buns. Normally I like to freshly grate the cheese myself, but I got lazy and used shredded cheese from a bag. I know…I know.
The shredded cheese stays pretty in the bag because it has stabilizers added to it. Unfortunately, I find that the stabilizers do not allow the cheese to melt as nicely as cheese you shred yourself from a block. I don’t think anyone here notices the difference, but in the interest of full disclosure I am telling you.
In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the chives, milk and as much salt and pepper as you like. Melt butter in a large skillet over MEDIUM heat and pour in the egg mixture. Stir and cook until almost set.
The recipe calls for either fresh or dried chives…the chives in this photo are the dried variety.
Spread the scrambled eggs and then the sausage over the cheese in an even layer. Then replace the tops of the buns.
Melt the butter in a small dish and then add the maple syrup.
This is where the magic happens! Brush the maple butter over the top of the rolls, using all of the mixture. Then bake in 350 degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes until cheese is bubbling and tops are golden brown.
These Egg Sausage Breakfast Sliders are a great base recipe. They can be devoured immediately or made the night before and baked in the morning.
Make your sliders with different fillings based on when they’ll be served, like my Italian Ham and Cheese Sliders for lunch or dinner. They’re always a hit!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Make ahead of time – Assemble the sliders but wait to brush with butter and syrup. Wrap the pan in plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate up to one day ahead. Brush with butter and syrup right before baking. You may need more time in the oven because the sliders will be cold to start.
If you don’t care for maple syrup, leave off the syrup and brush with only butter.
Be sure to use breakfast sausage. Both regular or maple flavored are delicious. If you want to swap in crispy bacon or deli ham, be sure to cut the meat into small pieces. The sliders will be easier to eat.
A 9 x 13 pan is a good size for these sliders. If the pan seems too large for your buns, place a pan size sheet of foil in the bottom of the pan and build your sliders on top. Before brushing on the butter, pull up the sides of the foil to make a pan within a pan for your sliders. Finish by brushing on the melted butter and syrup.
Breakfast Slider Flavor Add-Ins and Substitutions
You can switch up the fillings and even the rolls. Here are more ways to build these delicious anytime sliders:
- For a sweeter option, use Hawaiian rolls. They’re so delicious when freshly baked and crisped. Don’t forget about Onion rolls…they’ll add immense flavor to your sliders!
- Try bacon instead of sausage. I like to cook the bacon in the oven for less mess. The bacon cooks in perfect, flat strips to make building the sliders easier. Thin slices of ham work too!
- How about over-easy eggs topping each roll! Yum.
- Make it your own with herbs and spices. Add a dash of onion or garlic powder or a handful of herbs to the egg mixture before cooking.
- Add veggies!! Anything you would use in an omelette can go in these sandwiches, like fresh spinach or very thinly sliced green bell peppers and onions. Roasted red peppers will add beautiful color to the rolls.
- Variety is the spice of life! Add sriracha or other hot sauce to the melted butter you brush on top. Or mustard and minced onion. You can’t go wrong with honey added to the butter, then topped with a sprinkling of poppy seeds.
More Make Ahead Breakfast Recipes:
- Oven Strawberry French Toast
- Ranch Ham Hash Brown Bake
- Blackberry Cream French Toast
- Cheesy Potato Smoked Sausage Casserole
More Slider Recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Cheese Sliders
- Easy Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders
- Italian Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Barbecue Chicken Sliders
Egg Sausage Breakfast Sliders
- 12 slider rolls
- 16 ounces breakfast sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk whole or 2%
- 1 tbsp dried or fresh chives
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- 4 cups shredded cheese
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch (or similar size) baking dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage to skillet, break apart with a wooden spoon and cook until completely cooked through. Drain if necessary to remove excess grease and scrape into a bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, chives, milk, salt and pepper. Heat the large skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and cook eggs to desired consistency.
- Cut slider rolls in half lengthwise. Place the bottom half of rolls in baking dish. Set the tops aside. Evenly spread the shredded cheese over the bottom half of rolls. Scoop scrambled eggs onto the layer of cheese, spreading evenly. Place sausage on top of the eggs and top with top half of rolls.
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Combine melted butter and maple syrup in small bowl. Brush over tops of rolls allowing sauce to drip down sides and into bottom. Use the entire amount.
- Place pan onto center rack of preheated oven. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted. Serve and enjoy!
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.