Make this Cheesy Potato Smoked Sausage Casserole for an easy family dinner. Less than 10 minutes of prep and this hearty dish is ready for the oven!
If a hash brown casserole has never made it to your table, you need to make this one…right away! Creamy, baked hash brown dishes, like this Cheesy Potato Smoked Sausage Casserole, are totally addictive. I’ve been making hash brown casseroles for so long, I can’t believe this is the first one I’m sharing with you!
Serve this gorgeous, cheesy, baked deliciousness for dinner, or leave out the meat and serve it as an amazing side. Any which way, it tastes incredible! Be careful, the crispy, cheesy edges will call out for you to pick them off and devour before you ever get the pan to the table!
I made this casserole for a weeknight dinner and between four adults, the entire pan was polished off. My husband, Matthew, is known for scraping a dish clean, but even he took this one to a new level.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE INGREDIENTS FOR THIS CHEESY SAUSAGE POTATO CASSEROLE
One of the greatest things about casserole recipes is that you can substitute some of the ingredients for your favorites, or omit them entirely. While it’s totally tasty as is, you can customize it to your taste.
- For the smoked sausage – try chunks of ham, cooked bacon or chicken. If you like them, sliced hot dogs taste great in this recipe.
- Instead of green pepper – try one of the sweeter bell peppers like red or orange. Saute some zucchini or mushrooms and add them in. Chunks of roasted butternut squash are especially delicious.
- The big cheese – the cheese is a big part of the flavor and texture of this casserole. Great subs for the cheddar are Swiss, Monterey Jack or for some heat, try hot pepper cheese!
CAN I USE FROZEN HASH BROWNS AND DO I NEED TO THAW THEM?
Yes, frozen hash browns will work nicely for this recipe. And yes, the hash browns will need to be thawed.
Using frozen hash browns will extend the cooking time for the recipe well beyond the time the other ingredients need to cook. If you forget to take your frozen hash browns out of the freezer, you can thaw them in the microwave. Just be sure to drain the liquid out of the potatoes before using them.
If you like this recipe, here are some other tasty baked dishes you might want to try!
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Mac and Cheese – 1 month ago
- Smoked Ham Peas and Carrots Bake – 1 year ago
- Country Ham and Potato Bake – 3 years ago
- Easy Taco Pasta Casserole – 5 years ago
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Baking Dish – Any 3 – 4 QT dish will work, but I love the easy cleanup of this brand.
- Wooden Spoons – beautiful teak spoons that make you feel like a master chef!
- Pro Box Grater – the best mac and cheese starts with grated cheese! This one has 6 sides including a convenient zester and grater!
Cheesy Potato Smoked Sausage Casserole
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray or grease 9 x 13 or similar size baking dish.
- In a medium skillet, melt 1 TBSP butter. Over medium-high heat, saute the onions and green pepper until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, mix the sour cream with paprika, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne until distributed. Melt remaining butter and add the bowl along with smoked sausage, potatoes, cheese, and sauteed vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Bake 40 – 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool casserole 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!