Italian Ham and Cheese Sliders – hot and tangy little sandwiches that are big on flavor. Savory ham, spicy salami, velvety Swiss cheese and a zippy mustard sauce combine to make an irresistible snack or a meal that everyone will love!
It may be stretching it a little to call these Italian…but with hard salami adding so much flavor, I am going to go ahead and do it! Deliciously different, these little sliders are a fresh take on the classic ham and Swiss deli sandwich. Italian Ham and Cheese Sliders have become my go-to, one-pan dish for serving crowds at parties, pot lucks, tailgating, picnics or anytime.
Just a heads up…The recipe is for 24 sliders, but I usually make a double batch. The guys make a bee line for the island while I am making these and will completely devour the first tray in a matter of minutes.
Why you will enjoy these Italian Ham and Cheese Sliders:
- They are flavorful, simple and quick to make – 5 minutes of prep and 15 minutes in the oven
- Eating them with your hands = easy clean-up
- Serve them as an appetizer, snack or a quick meal
- Uses up left over ham from the holidays
Tips and Hints to make the best Italian Ham and Cheese Slider Recipe:
- I always say this, but the best recipe results start with quality ingredients, so use the best you can afford. If you are using deli meats and cheese, try to buy the organic variety.
- The poppy seeds are a nice addition. They add a subtle crunch, but you can skip them if you don’t have any on hand
- Don’t over-bake them. I like mine just golden-brown, with the bun still soft. but the most you need to bake them is 15 – 20 minutes. I would start watching them at the 15 minute mark
- Don’t skip the mayo or Miracle Whip. Both leave the sliders tender and moist. If you only have one, use it on both the top and bottom of the rolls.
Ingredients I used to make Italian Ham and Cheese Sliders:
- Fresh Bakery Dinner Rolls – these are not sandwich-sized rolls. I purchased 2 packs of 12 each.
- Cherry wood smoked ham – I prefer to use a sweet ham when I am not using a sweet tasting roll, like Hawaiian rolls.
Here is the handy printable recipe! Enjoy.Print
Italian Ham and Cheese Sliders – hot and tangy little sandwiches that are big on flavor. Savory ham, spicy salami, velvety swiss cheese and a zippy mustard sauce combine to make an irresistible snack or a meal that everyone will love!
- 24 bakery dinner rolls
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 6 slices fresh deli ham, about 1/2 pound, cut into quarters
- 6 slices swiss cheese, cut into quarters
- 24 slices hard salami, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick),melted
- 1-1/2 TBSP prepared mustard
- 1 tsp dried minced onions
- a splash or two of Worcestershire sauce
- Poppy seeds, sliced tomato,lettuce,red onion and pickles for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Split the dinner rolls and place the bottoms on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Spread Miracle Whip on the cut side of the bottom half of the rolls. Layer a slice of ham, cheese and salami on top of the Miracle Whip.
- Spread the cut side of the top half of the rolls with mayonnaise. Replace the top half of the roll.
- In a small bowl mix the melted butter, mustard, minced onion, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Brush the mustard spread evenly over the tops and sides of the slider rolls,
Cover the pan loosely with foil, and place on the center rack of the preheated oven for 15-20
- minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sliders are heated thru.
- Serve hot.
For this recipe I used Lacey Swiss cheese and cherry wood smoked ham.
Post updated February 2018