Cake Mix Chocolate Walnut Cookies are delicious fudgy cake mix cookies, chock full of chocolate chips and walnuts. Easiest one bowl recipe!
There is only one thing better in this world than Chocolate and Walnuts together, and that is Chocolate and Walnuts and more Chocolate! Who can resist?
I made these Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies from a cake mix on a whim one night, while hunting for just the right sweet snack. I was hooked. They are somehow both fudgy and soft like a cookie. These easy to make cookies are totally swoon worthy!
Boxed cake mixes are a great base to start your cookie batter. Some of our favorite cake mix flavors to make cookies are butter pecan, french vanilla and chocolate. It seems like a hack, but using a cake mix easily makes the cookie batter very consistent!
Ingredients to Make Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- Chocolate Cake Mix – we used a Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- Eggs – we used large eggs for this recipe.
- Vegetable Oil – or canola oil is fine. Any light, neutral flavor oil will work.
- Chocolate Chips – we love semi-sweet chocolate chips for our cookie recipes, but milk chocolate and dark chocolate are fine alternatives.
- Walnuts – adds delicious nutty flavor! Pecans and peanuts are amazing in this recipe.
👉This cookie mix is incredibly easy, and it will work with any 15.25 ounce box of cake mix, just choose your flavor.
💡TIP – buy your cake mixes in bulk when they are on sale and store them until you need them. They will keep on the shelf for a very long time!
Freezing Cake Mix Cookies
Cookies made from a cake mix dough can either be frozen either baked or unbaked.
Freezing Already Baked Cookies
- Bake and allow cookies to cool on wire rack to room temperature.
- Place cookies in a freezer-safe container, using wax paper between cookie layers or flat in a plastic bag and seal tightly, removing as much air as possible.
- Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw on counter before serving.
Freezing Unbaked Cookies (raw dough)
- Place dough in the refrigerator to chill until very firm.
- Roll dough into balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Place baking sheet in freezer for 1 hour until dough balls are frozen.
- Place in a freezer-safe container or quart-size plastic freezer bags, seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
We recommend packing the dough balls in smaller portions of one dozen dough balls for each bag. It allows us to easily store the bags flat in the freezer.
To Thaw Frozen Cookie Dough Balls:
Place frozen dough balls evenly spaced on parchment lined baking sheet. Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel and allow to thaw on the counter to room temperature. Bake as directed.
More Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes
- Chewy Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Brown Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bar Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Snowball Cookies
- Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies
Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- 1 box Devils Food Chocolate Cake Mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or your favorite chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs,oil and water with a hand mixer until smooth. The batter will be thick, like cookie dough. Scrape down the sides with a spatula to make sure that everything is mixed together.
- Stir in by hand the chocolate chips and walnuts until evenly distributed
- Place by teaspoonful on a greased baking sheet
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes at 350 degrees
- Remove from the oven and tap bottom of the baking sheet on the counter to set the cookies. Let cookies cool at least 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.