Walnut Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bar Cookies – a simple and delicious recipe that uses only 5 ingredients. So fast and fuss-free they are perfect for last-minute packed lunches, potlucks and bake sales!
In real life, there are times when I am just not able to get out a dozen from-scratch bake sale cookies or a special dessert for a potluck. This quick recipe has rescued me more times than I want to admit. It’s true value is in it’s simplicity. The ingredients are interchangeable, so I can use what I have on hand. If I don’t have walnuts and chocolate I’ll sub in pecans and dried cranberries or some other combination.
Why you will love these Walnut Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bar Cookies:
- 5 ingredients, 20 minutes and ready to eat.
- fool-proof with only 2 ingredients to measure out.
- easy to customize – substitute your favorites for the walnuts and chocolate.
Tips and Hints for making the Best Walnut Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bar Cookies Recipe:
- Use a cake mix brand you trust. Because these bars do not rise like a cake, the flavors are condensed.
- I make these cookie bars with unsalted butter for amazing flavor. If you need to keep it dairy-free, I suggest using coconut oil instead.
Essential Tools and Ingredients to make Walnut Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bar Cookies:
- Yellow Cake Mix – the recipe is set for a 15.25 ounce box of mix
- Baking pan – 9 x 13 inch size
Cake mix cookie bars are perfect for making easy, quick cookies in a matter of minutes.
- 1 package Yellow Cake Mix ( 15.25 ounces)
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper leaving a 2-inch overhand on the long sides. Lightly grease the parchment paper. The overhang is for “handles” to lift the cookie bars out of the pan for easier cutting when cooled.
- In a large bowl, using your hands or large spoon, mix the cake mix, eggs, and melted butter until thoroughly blended.
- Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips until the nuts and chips are evenly distributed thru the dough. The dough will be very stiff and sticky.
- Turn the dough out into the baking pan, spreading it out until the dough is evenly covering the entire bottom of the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake 18-20 minutes or until golden-brown and firm around the edges.
- Remove the pan from the oven onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely Life out of the pan by the handles onto a flat surface. Cut into squares and enjoy!
To make mixing and spreading easier, I lightly grease my fingers before handling the dough.
Keywords: cookies,cookie bars,dessert,cake mix,chocolate,walnuts,snack
Post updated February 2018.