Walnut Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bar Cookies – A simple and delicious recipe that uses only 5 ingredients. So fast and fuss-free they are perfect for last-minute packed lunches, potlucks and bake sales!
In real life, there are times when I am just not able to get out a dozen from-scratch bake sale cookies or a special dessert for a potluck. This quick recipe has rescued me more times than I want to admit. It’s true value is in it’s simplicity. The ingredients are interchangeable, so I can use what I have on hand. If I don’t have walnuts and chocolate I’ll sub in pecans and dried cranberries or some other combination.
Why you will love these Cookies:
- 5 ingredients, 20 minutes and ready to eat.
- fool-proof with only 2 ingredients to measure out.
- easy to customize – substitute your favorites for the walnuts and chocolate.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
Tips and Hints for making the Best Cake Mix Bar Cookies Recipe:
- Use a cake mix brand you trust. Because these bars do not rise like a cake, the flavors are condensed.
- I make these cookie bars with unsalted butter for amazing flavor. If you need to keep it dairy-free, I suggest using margarine instead. Coconut oil is not recommended because the cookies will be heavy and have a “greasy” feel after baking.
Walnut Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bar Cookies
- 15.25 ounce yellow cake mix
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper leaving a 2-inch overhand on the long sides. Lightly grease the parchment paper. The overhang is for "handles" to lift the cookie bars out of the pan for easier cutting when cooled.
- In a large bowl, using your hands or large spoon, mix the cake mix, eggs, and melted butter until thoroughly blended. Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips until the nuts and chips are evenly distributed thru the dough. The dough will be very stiff and sticky.
- Turn the dough out into the baking pan, spreading it out until the dough is evenly covering the entire bottom of the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake 18-20 minutes or until golden-brown and firm around the edges.
- Remove the pan from the oven onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely Life out of the pan by the handles onto a flat surface. Cut into squares and enjoy!
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
Post updated February 2018.