Loaded with flavor and a cheesy topping, this One Pot Mexican Beef and Potatoes dinner will please the whole family. Ready in 30 minutes!
Summer is almost here and with that comes lots of projects that have been put off until the weather warms up. At our house that usually means a major mess in the house and dirt piled up outside. With so much going on, quick and easy dinner recipes like this One Pot Mexican Beef and Potatoes are what’s on the menu for supper.
This year the main thing we’re tackling is our wet and moldy mulch problem. Totally not glamorous. I love having the windows open and getting a breeze thru the house, but our allergies are keeping them shut.
I wasn’t surprised to learn that Columbus, Ohio is ranked 7th on the list of wettest places in the U.S., right behind Seattle, Washington. Anyway, we’re replacing the mulch with river rock which is a huge project and my fingers are crossed that it helps.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE ONE POT MEXICAN BEEF AND POTATOES
These are all easy, common ingredients you might already have in your pantry.
- Vegetable Oil – feel free to use whatever cooking oil you prefer for frying. I don’t recommend butter because it will most likely burn before the potatoes are cooked. If you love the taste of butter, add some right before the potatoes are done.
- Diced Potatoes – I love to use pre-diced potatoes because I hate peeling them. But feel free to dice your own (leave on the skins if you like them). Frozen potatoes are fine, just thaw them in the refrigerator before using.
- Ground Beef – for this recipe I used 85/15 ground beef. There is usually not enough fat to worry about draining off which keeps this recipe fast and easy.
- Taco Seasoning – the little seasoning packets from the grocery are great for this recipe. OR if you’re ambitious, make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning.
- Tomatoes with Green Chilies – this is a staple in my kitchen for adding flavor. Sometimes I add another can of just green chilies to add more heat. The green chilies in the can are Anaheim chilies and are considered mild. If you like it hot, throw in some diced jalapeno pepper or use a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Cheddar Cheese – buy the pre-shredded cheese ( super time-saver) or shred your own from a block.
HOW TO MAKE THIS MEXICAN BEEF AND POTATOES RECIPE
This simple recipe is made in 3 easy steps, all in one pot.
- Cook and crisp the potatoes. They should be just fork tender and getting browned around the edges.
2. Brown the ground beef, add spices and tomatoes with green chilies. For more heat, add diced jalapeno or a pinch of cayenne.
3. Sprinkle with cheese and put under the broiler for 2 – 3 minutes. Watch the pan, you don’t want the cheese to burn.
That’s it. Dinner is on the table in under 30 minutes! And one pan for easy clean-up.
CAN I FREEZE THIS DISH?
Yes, you can definitely freeze Mexican Beef and Potatoes for later.
There are two ways to freeze this dish. Make the complete recipe, let it cool slightly then pack it into one large or individual freezer containers to re-heat later. OR follow all the recipe steps up to sprinkling the cheese. Transfer the cooked beef and potato mixture to a foil tray, cover and freeze.
To finish cooking – take the frozen tray out of the freezer, cover tightly with foil and place directly into a 350 F oven for 30 – 45 minutes. Once heated thru, remove the foil, sprinkle with cheese and place the pan under the broiler for 2 – 3 minutes.
MORE EASY DINNER RECIPES IDEAS:
- One Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- Sweet and Soy Chicken
- New Orleans Style Sausage Alfredo
- One Pan Chicken Pepperoni Pizza Pasta
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
TOOLS TO MAKE ONE POT MEXICAN BEEF AND POTATOES
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Oven Proof Large Skillet – cooks this meal with ease on the stove then goes straight under the broiler!
- Grater Box – for grating the cheddar cheese like a Pro. The non-stick coating makes grating everything a breeze!
One Pot Mexican Beef and Potatoes
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 16 ounce refrigerated diced potatoes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix or 2 TBSP Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 15 ounce can tomatoes with green chilies, do not drain
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Add potatoes and cook covered, over medium-high heat until edges start to brown and crisp, about 12 – 15 minutes. Turn potatoes every 3 – 4 minutes. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, brown ground beef until no pink remains. Drain fat as needed. Stir in taco seasoning and water, use wooden spoon to scrape brown bits from bottom of the pan. Stir in tomatoes with chilies. Simmer over low heat 2 – 3 minutes until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Add potatoes to beef mixture and stir to combine. Cook 2 – 3 minutes or until potatoes are heated thru. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and place under broiler for 2 – 3 minutes, or until melted and golden brown.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!