Healthy and full of crunch, this tasty vitamin packed salad is great for a hearty lunch or dinner!
Nutty Quinoa and Kale Superfood Salad
It’s that time of year again when we try to improve our health, eat right, and lose weight. But doing so in a way that’s enjoyable is just so tricky. We’re constantly bombarded with images of delectable foods that overcome our willpower to resist, and we give in. Who wants to eat a superfood salad when there are burgers in the offing?
Well, prepare to have your mind changed by this salad. Not only is it super healthy (no added sugar, fat, or oil), it’s also delicious, with the perfect balance of flavors and textures.
It’s also surprisingly easy to make. Right now, people are asking themselves about the difference between meal kit vs grocery shopping and trying to work out which is the easiest method for preparing meals. While supermarket shopping has its benefits, buying a meal kit can be a great way to enjoy healthy meals without having to go to the usual effort. This nutty quinoa and kale superfood salad is just the sort of thing you’d expect to find in one of those meal kits because it’s so straightforward to make, once you’ve got all the ingredients on your sideboard.
The Health Benefits Of Quinoa and Kale Superfood Salad
Get Your Whole Grains
Although technically a seed, quinoa is counted as a whole grain because it has such similar nutritional properties. Much vaunted for the fact that it has a nutritional profile similar to that of animal products, quinoa is a healthy way to meet your protein requirements while also providing plenty of minerals and fiber.
Eat Leafy Greens
The average American gets just a half-teaspoons worth of fresh kale per week. Kale is one of the healthiest greens on the planet because it comes from the brassica family of vegetables which are renowned for boosting the body’s detoxifying enzymes, particularly in the liver.
Eat Yellow Veggies
Yellow veggies, like squash (which is in the salad) are useful for improving skin quality.
More Cold Salad Ideas
- Easy Chop Salad
- Cold Noodle Broccoli Spinach Salad
- Greek Farro Tomato Salad
- Amazing Jalapeno Popper Salad
- Copycat Olive Garden Salad
Nutty Quinoa and Kale Superfood Salad
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and seeds removed
- 1 cup quinoa dry
- 2 cups kale raw
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup raisin
- 1/4 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 medium lemon juiced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Peel and seed squash.Cut into thumb-sized pieces and spread in an even layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake on center rack of oven for 40 – 45 minutes until tender. Turn squash over at the halfway point. Add pine nuts to baking pan during last 10 minutes of baking time. Stir occasionally until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa and cook according to package directions. When cooked, drain and rinse under cool water to reduce heat and set aside.
- While quinoa is cooking, make the dressing by mixing the dressing ingredients together in a large bowl. Wash and remove stems from the kale and add kale to the the dressing. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Dice the onion and celery. Fold onions, celery and raisins into the kale. Add cooked squash to the salad mix. Stir gently to combine. Top with toasted pine nuts and serve immediately.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.