Before jumping to the recipe, check out the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post. I hope you’ll find them useful and will love this Greek Farro Tomato Salad recipe!
Greek Farro Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese is packed with nutty flavor, protein and nutrients. Ready in just 20 minutes, this versatile salad is a perfect pairing for any meal.
My love affair with Farro started when I decided to experiment in the kitchen. I was just me and a bag of grain. I was full of good intentions, attempting to cook healthier….so what could go wrong?
My first batch was a total failure. I didn’t read the directions and cooked the farro until ALL of the water was absorbed. When cooked, the Farro grains are supposed to puff up, and soften, but mine resembled runny oatmeal and somehow stuck to the bottom of the pan. Oh, was there was supposed to be water left in the pot to drain?
After reading the directions, the second batch came out perfectly. The grains were puffed up, but still had bite to them. The nutty flavor and cooked grain aroma was delicious.
Though not traditional, this is one hearty salad. The heavy Farro is lightened up by the vegetables, but you will not be hungry for hours after eating it.
WHAT IS FARRO?
What exactly is Farro? Though it may seem trendy now, Farro is an ancient grain. It was domesticated over 10,000 years ago in Egypt and is believed to have fed the Roman legions. It is grown in central and northern Italy and presumed to have contributed to the longevity of the people living there.
REASONS TO ENJOY THIS GREEK FARRO TOMATO SALAD RECIPE
- It is easy to make and ready to eat in about 15 minutes!
- The dish is hearty and packed with delicious flavors, protein and fiber.
- It is perfect for busy weeknights and also for entertaining guests
- Budget -friendly and any delicious leftovers will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 day
Looking for more easy recipes like this? Check my collection here:
- Orzo with Snap Peas and Peanuts – protein and fiber rich
- Quinoa Vegetable Medley – with a splash of tangy Balsamic
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST GREEK FARRO TOMATO SALAD
- Use fresh, minced garlic. Garlic is an integral component of this sauce recipe and some flavor may be lost if fresh is not used.
- Using fresh herbs is always best when the recipe calls for it. If not available, use re-hydrated herbs from the spice aisle.
- Pearled Farro was used for this recipe. If you have whole grain, it may require an overnight soak.
TOOLS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Click on the links below to see the items used to make this recipe. Visit my Kitchen Essentials Shop to see all our favorites.
EverSharp Pro Chef’s Knife – it’s my go-to knife….perfect 8-inch blade for all your kitchen cutting, slicing and chopping without ever needing sharpened!
MORE FAMILY RECIPES TO LOVE
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
Greek Farro Tomato Salad
- 1 cup Farro, pearled
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup green onion, sliced, about 2 stalks (green part only)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch black pepper
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Rinse farro under cold water. Drain.
- Add water and farro to a medium saucepan. Stir. Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain well, and transfer to a medium bowl to cool.
- Add the tomato, green onion, and parsley to the bowl, toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the garlic, vinegar, oil and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle feta cheese over the top.
- Serve at room temperature. Leftovers can be refrigerated, covered, for 1-2 days.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!