Cheesy and crunchy with a decadent creamy dressing, this Amazing Jalapeno Popper Salad is the perfect compliment to any meaty dish. Great for picnics and potlucks, this spicy salad made with fresh corn will be requested again and again.
When warm weather hits do you start thinking about summer food? I think that most of us do. For me, I start craving salads…something cold and crisp with a tangy dressing will just hit the spot. One of my favorites is the decadent Amazing Jalapeno Popper Salad. It is not what you would call a “healthy” salad what with bacon, three kinds of cheese and mayonnaise but it sure is delicious. It is a great side to serve as an alternative to potato salad or coleslaw and makes a great dip too. This simple recipe can be easily doubled or tripled to make large batches for potlucks and cook outs.
At our house, we like to cook out any day that the weather is nice enough to stand outside. But of course the moment I step outside to heat the grill, it starts freaking raining. If that happens when I am serving this salad, instead of cooking my ears of corn on the grill, I just save them and use frozen corn instead. Are you like me and keep a bag of frozen corn in the freezer just in case?
Reasons to love this Amazing Jalapeno Popper Recipe:
- Super easy to make, especially if you use frozen corn.
- The bold flavor compliments so many main dishes, especially grilled meat!
- The sweet corn balances out the heat of the jalapenos and gives extra crunch.
- Versatile – leftovers can be used as a dip for crackers. Cover and refrigerate leftovers up to 3 days.
Hungry for more delicious salads? Check out these from my collection:
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad – a creamy, delicious side dish for any meal
- Greek Farro Tomato Salad – Nutty flavor and texture
- Honey Pepper Ramen Noodle Salad – the secret is in the honey sauce
There is something to love about a salad where you cut the hot peppers up after they have cooked and lost some of their heat. After broiling, stem the jalapenos and chop, there is no need for an extra step to remove the seeds.
Anytime you are handling hot peppers, I recommend wearing gloves. Not just to protect your hands (pepper oil in a hangnail or small cut burns..alot) but your face and eyes later. I am sharing knowledge from experience…It can take several hand washings for all of the oil to wash off.
This is the least messy way I have found to cut corn from the cob. Just stick a cob on the bundt pan opening and use a very sharp knife to slide down the kernels. Everything falls right into the pan,ready for your recipe! Easy peazy!
Tips for Making the Best Amazing Jalapeno Popper Salad:
- Use fresh or frozen corn or a combination. Both taste fantastic in this salad!
- Use fresh shredded cheese for a softer texture.
- After broiling, just cut the stem off the jalapenos and chop. Leave the seeds for extra flavor.
- Allow the salad to cool in the fridge for an hour or two for the flavors to blend before serving.
- Keep the shelf fresh by storing spices in a cool, dark place, away from direct heat or sunlight. In tightly closed containers whole spices will stay fresh for about 4 years, ground spices for about 2 to 3 years and dried herbs for 1 to 3 years.
- Use good quality mayonnaise. Generally that means a brand with the least amount of chemical additives or use homemade. I use Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise which contains these ingredients (from their website): soybean oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar,lemon juice concentrate, calcium disodium edta (used to protect quality), natural flavors.
Helpful Tools and Ingredients:
- Large Eversharp Kitchen Knife – this is my favorite knife ever! It feels like an expensive knife in your hands. I have used mine everyday for years and it is still as sharp as brand new.
Amazing Jalapeno Popper Salad
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 3 medium jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup sour cream, i used reduced fat
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cups fresh corn, about 8 ears cooked and cooled or 32 ounce bag frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- On a broiler pan covered with foil,place the onions and jalapenos. Broil 4 inches from heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly charred. Cool and chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the corn, cheeses, grilled vegetables and half of the bacon.
- Top with the remaining bacon and serve.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.