Patriotic Layered Party Dip is a huge hit at summer parties. Seasoned sour cream, black and refried beans, cheese and tomatoes are layered into a zesty dip everyone will love! This easy dip only takes 10 minutes to make!
We love to have cookouts and entertain in the summer and this recipe complements just about any spread I put out. Serve this dip with your favorite tortilla chips, crackers or veggies and just watch it disappear.
Talk about disappearing…when the guys have their friends over, this dish barely gets out to the porch before I see hands loaded with chips coming my way. We never have leftovers of this dip, but if we did I would cover it tightly and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE PATRIOTIC LAYERED PARTY DIP
- Refried Beans – heating the beans makes them easy to spread in the pan. Add a few shakes of Tobasco if you want more heat to your dip!
- Sour Cream – mix it with taco seasoning and you will be licking those spoons. Sooo good!
- Taco Seasoning – use seasoning packet or make Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Salsa – use your favorite jarred salsa or Pico De Gallo (condiment of the Gods!)
- White Cheddar Cheese – cut a few slices from the block to make the stars for the dip.
- Black Beans – rinse and drain before using canned black beans
- Tomatoes – remove the seeds before dicing the tomatoes.
HOW TO MAKE A LAYERED PARTY DIP
Make this “Flag” dip in about 10 minutes. Let me show you how easy it is!
- Heat the refried beans, I used canned beans, in the microwave for 2 minutes. The beans should be easy to spread out with a spatula.
- Stir the taco seasoning into the sour cream until well combined. Spread the sour cream over the refried beans. Easy enough.
- Spoon the salsa over the sour cream. I used a jar of salsa for this step. To keep it from being too wet, I strained out some of the juice first.
- Shred the remaining cheese with a stand grater. This copper box grater looks great hanging from a pot rack in my kitchen.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the salsa, then make stripes using the tomatoes. Place the black beans in the corner of the pan and decorate with cheese stars! Ready to serve in no time flat!
Cut a few thin slices of cheese off the block of white cheddar before shredding it. I used the small star cutout from the set I bought to cut stars from the cheese to decorate the top of the dip.
TOOLS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Click on the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Box Grater – for grating the block of cheese to make white stripes.
- Mini Cookie Cutters – use to cut out stars to make the “flag” for the dip.
PATRIOTIC LAYERED PARTY DIP
Seasoned sour cream, black and refried beans, cheese and tomatoes are layered into a zesty dip everyone will love!
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 ounce Taco Seasoning, 2 tbsp
- 16 ounce chunky salsa
- 8 ounce white cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 16 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- tortilla chips for serving
- Heat refried beans until warm. Spread in the bottom of a 9 x 13 dish into an even layer to the edges of the dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream with taco seasoning until well combined. Spread into a smooth layer over the refried beans.
- Drop tablespoons of salsa over sour cream, using the back of a spoon to spread out salsa evenly. (If salsa has excess liquid, strain excess before using).
- Cut 3 thin slices of cheese off cheddar block. Use mini star cutter to make stars to decorate the dip. Set aside.
- Shred remainder of cheese block. Sprinkle shredded cheddar over salsa in an even layer.
- Dice tomatoes and place on top of cheese to form stripes.
- Place black beans in top corner of dish, and decorate with star-shaped cheese.
- Serve with tortilla chips, crackers or veggies.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!