Make this delicious Apple Pie Spice blend to add amazing flavor to your baked goods. It’s an easy recipe using 4 pantry ingredients.
HOMEMADE APPLE PIE SPICE
There is nothing like a morning of fall apple picking to get you in the mood for baking. Just imagining the possibilities of all that deliciousness gets me excited to turn on the oven and start coring. My secret time-saving weapon is having my favorite spices already blended and stashed on the shelf just waiting for me to measure. And because it’s already mixed, I don’t have to worry about running out of one spice or the other. Who needs that grief, right?
Anyway, one of my (many) peeves is having to get out all the spices for a recipe, then put them all back again. Sounds simple, but when you cook a lot, it can get old, fast. I finally wised up. Making up spice blends of what I use all the time relieves me from that chore. I already know that the spices are how I like them, and how much I have. If you’ve ever run out (or never had it in the first place) of a spice while making a recipe, you know what I’m talking about. Ever try apple pie that’s missing half the cinnamon…it’s not very good. Anyway, this solves the problem.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Homemade Apple Pie Spice is made from a combination of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice and if you like it, Cardamom. These are common spices generally found in the baking aisle of the grocery store.
- Cinnamon – comes from the bark of trees of the genus Cinnamomum. There’s some controversy over what is the best cinnamon, the most common commercial cinnamon being from the Cinnamomum Cassia tree. My favorite to use for making sweets is Saigon Cinnamon, from the species Cinnamonum Loureiori. It’s flavors are know to hold up well during baking.
- Nutmeg – cultivated in many parts of the world, this spice has a warm, slightly sweet taste and pungent fragrance.
- Allspice – comes from the dried, unripe berries of the pimento tree. It has a distinctive flavor resembling a blend of cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper. It’s name comes from it’s aroma, which is a combination of spices.
- Cardamom – highly fragrant with a citrus, mint and spice flavor.
You might wonder why I add cardamom to the apple pie spice. It’s a spice I was turned on to when I lived in North Carolina. My good friend uses Cardamom to add a citrus freshness to her apple dishes and after tasting it, I was hooked.It doesn’t taste like lemon or orange, it has a flavor all it’s own. granted, it’s not traditional, but give it a try anyway.
MORE POPULAR SPICE BLENDS YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY:
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix
- Homemade Barbecue Seasoning Mix
- Fajita Seasoning Mix
Homemade Apple Pie Spice
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients until well blended.
- Transfer to a glass container and store in a cool, dark and dry place for up to 6 months.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!