Just when I thought that vanilla pudding could not be more…well vanilla, I stumbled upon something that changed my mind. Last week I was following a store recipe on making a crumb topping for grilled fruit using Ginger Snaps. It was awesome, but the recipe made way too much for the amount of fruit I grilled. I was going to do a blog post about the grilled fruit but the fruit turned to mush on the grill so it was a total bust. No photos…no way! Anywhooo, the ginger snap crumbs were so good that I totally ate them off the fruit and saved the rest for later. I decided to make a vanilla pudding parfait and use the crumbs for a layer between the pudding and fruit. The ginger flavor completely enhances the taste of vanilla pudding. I would not believe it if I hadn’t tasted it for myself! Check out how I made it…
This is a fast and easy dessert that is fancy enough for company
- 1 Pkg (4 servings) Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 1–3/4 cup milk
- 1 can Cherry Pie filling
- 1/8 Teaspoon Almond Extract (optional)
- 25 Ginger Snap cookies
- 3/4 stick butter
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Whipped Topping or Whipped cream
- Sliced almonds for garnish (optional)
- Make the pudding as the package directs for Pie Filling. Set aside, do not refrigerate yet
- In a small bowl, crush the ginger snap cookies into crumbs, or use a food processor. Add the butter and sugar and mix thoroughly. Set aside, reserving 1/4 cup of crumbs for garnish
- Pour the can of pie filling into a small bowl, add 1/8 teaspooon Almond Extract. Stir to blend, set aside.
- Into 6 small parfait glasses, assemble the dessert. Put a scant tablepoon of ginger snap crumbs into the bottom of each glass. Add 2 tablespoons of vanilla pudding on top of crumbs. On top of the pudding spoon 2 tablespoons of cherry pie filling. Continue this process in all 6 glasses until the crumbs,pudding and pie filling have all been used. Garmish each parfait with whipped cream, the reserved crumbs and almond slices.
Almond extract is a perfect compliment to cherries. Just a few drops bring out the intense flavor of the cherries. Any cookie crumbs can be used for the crumb layer, use your favorite flavor.