Easy Baked Hasselback Potatoes are tender, crispy sliced potatoes dripping with butter and herbs. A perfect side dish for any meat, just cook them alongside in the oven. Simple and delicious with only 5 minutes of prep!
Ready to keep things simple, but still take dinnertime potatoes up a notch? Make your potatoes a work of art by cutting them into Hasselback potatoes. They were first made where they got their name, the historic Hasselbacken restaurant. This 1700’s restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden first made the accordion cut potatoes, that are both creamy and crispy at the same time. The slices are almost like thick chips, but connected at the bottom.
Even though this is a basic butter and herb recipe, there is no limit to the combination of flavors to top these potatoes. Keep the flavors coming by trying a variety of different toppings.
Other variations include: parmesan cheese and minced garlic, curry and breadcrumbs, thin sliced jalapeno and chili powder and cheddar cheese and chives
What makes these potatoes “hasselback” is the thin slices of potato, cut almost thru to the bottom. The best way to keep from slicing all the way thru is to lay something thin alongside the potatoes. That methods will prevent the knife from cutting too deep. Wooden spoon handles will do the job, or chopsticks like the ones I used. Use a heavy sharp knife to make the cuts, you don’t want to be sawing back and forth and increasing the chances of the knife cutting thru.
Though crispy potatoes served plain are good, the amazing flavor of baked Hasselback Potatoes comes from the topping. This recipe combines the flavors of butter, olive oil, parsley and thyme to give each slice a buttery, herb infused bite.
To get the skin extra crisp, slather the entire potato with the butter mixture, then sprinkle sea salt on top before baking.
As the potato cooks, the butter and herbs will melt down into the potatoes, flavoring each slice. The butter that melts to the bottom will keep the potato skins from sticking and should be spooned over the potatoes as a sauce when done.
These potatoes are especially good when served as a side for Crispy Oven Baked Chicken and Garlic and Honey Chicken. My family’s all time favorite is baked hasselback potatoes served with my Best Ever Oven BBQ Ribs. That meal is on permanent rotation!
Craving more? Subscribe to MUST LOVE HOME , to get new recipes, our Newsletter , offers and updates delivered straight to your inbox.! Let’s stay connected… follow MUST LOVE HOME on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER .Print
Easy Baked Hasselback Potatoes
Easy Baked Hasselback Potatoes are tender, crispy sliced potatoes dripping with butter and herbs. A perfect side dish for any meat, cook alongside in the oven. Simple and delicious with only 5 minutes of prep!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 7 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 7 medium size russet potatoes
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- sliced green onion and sour cream for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, olive oil, parsley, thyme and pepper.
- Place a potato between the handles of 2 chopsticks or 2 spoon handles. Slice the potato into thin slices, stopping the knife about 1/4 of an inch from the bottom; the chopsticks will prevent you from slicing the potato all the way through. Repeat with the remaining 6 potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in an oven-proof skillet or on a baking pan. Brush the butter mixture over each potato, working the brush in between all the slices, using your fingers to separate the slices.
- Sprinkle each potato with sea salt. Bake on the center rack of oven until tender and crisp, about 50 – 55 minutes.
- Serve hot with green onion and sour cream on the side
Note – salted butter may be used instead of unsalted. To keep from being too salty, you may reduce or omit sprinkling salt on potatoes prior to baking.
Keywords: potatoes, dinner, hasselback potatoes, side dish, oven baked