Crispy Garlic Matchstick Fries are amazingly crisp and flavorful oven baked fries seasoned with garlic. The perfect easy side dish!
One of my favorite foods to make in the oven are french fries or frites, as the french say! We love them with everything so it’s no wonder Americans eat about 30 pounds of french fries per person every year. That’s a whole lotta fries!
French fries are totally my go-to side dish for so many meals, but how do you keep them from becoming boring? My solution is to change up the seasonings. These hand-cut, totally AMAZING fries are loaded with garlic, salt and pepper, then drizzled with olive oil to bake super crispy in the oven.
Ingredients To Make Garlic Matchstick Fries
Just 3 simple ingredients + salt and pepper make the most crispy, tender-on-the-inside fries right from the oven!
- Potatoes – we love large Russet potatoes to make oven french fries. We don’t even peel them!
- Garlic Powder – easy to evenly dust over the fries.
- Olive Oil – vegetable oil can be substituted.
- Salt and Pepper – just regular table salt and ground black pepper.
To keep from sticking, I bake my fries either right on a greased baking sheet with lots of olive oil or on a piece of precut parchment paper. I don’t recommend using foil because even greased, the starch in the potatoes will want to stick to it.
Crispy Garlic Matchstick Fries are so easy to make and so delicious, your family might start requesting them be added to your weekly menu. Mine sure did! I keep it interesting by making a variety of super easy dipping sauces for them. One of our favorites is Rodeo Sauce.
How To Make Rodeo French Fry Sauce
This tasty fry sauce is so quick and easy to make – we love it on everything!
- Add 1/2 cup of mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce to a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add more BBQ sauce to your taste or even add a pinch of cayenne if you like the heat!
More Easy Potato Side Dish Recipes
Crispy Garlic Matchstick Fries
- 6 medium Russet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Set pan aside.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and dry with a paper towel. On a cutting board, cut each potato into french fry size strips, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Do this by cutting first in half lengthwise, place cut side down and cut in half lengthwise horizontally. then slice each into potato strips.
- Transfer the cut potatoes into a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Season the potatoes with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil, and toss to coat. Return the potatoes to a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake in a hot 425°F oven for a total of 40 minutes, flipping the garlic fries over after the first 20 minutes of baking. Potatoes are done when they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven, season with salt to taste and serve hot!
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
Post and images updated 2/28/2020