Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes – Make perfectly creamy and delicious mashed potatoes in the slow cooker with this simple recipe! Just a few easy ingredients, and your crock pot will do the rest.
At one time or another we all seem to crave a hearty side dish better known as comfort food… with mashed potatoes being an all-time classic. This recipe for Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes is so easy and foolproof, and so delicious…you will want to put these into your recipe rotation. Guaranteed!
This recipe is perfect for any get together or holiday meal where you want to have one less pot on the stove.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Just 5 ingredients needed to make these fabulously fluffy and super tasty mashed potatoes. It doesn’t get any easier than this!
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Powder
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER MASHED POTATOES
Making these potatoes is super simple. The best things about using the slow cooker method is that you won’t have to boil a single drop of water.
- Just wash and peel the potatoes. I used Russet potatoes for this recipe to make very light and fluffy mashed potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes and put them in the Slow Cooker. Set the cooker to high and cook 3 – 4 hours until fork tender. Mash or use a hand mixer to mash the potatoes and add the milk to make the mashed potatoes ultra creamy. Salt and pepper to taste.
WHICH POTATOES ARE BEST FOR MASHING?
For the best mashed potatoes, whether boiling or slow cooking, choose potatoes with a higher starch content. These are the Russets or Yukon golds which will make the fluffiest, smoothest, and most flavorful mash.
Waxy potatoes like red or white varieties, require more mashing to become creamy. That could lead to the dreaded “potato paste, instead of light and delicious mashed potatoes. Definitely not what you’re going for!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 5 pound potatoes, yukon gold
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup milk, 2% or whole
- salt and pepper
- Wash and peel potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Add potatoes to the slow cooker, pour broth over potatoes and dot with butter.
- Cover and cook 3-4 hours on High.
- When potatoes are fork tender, turn off slow cooker.
- Use a hand held mixer or potato masher to mash to desired consistency.
- Add milk in small amounts and keep mixing until potatoes are as fluffy or creamy as desired.
- Serve with gravy or additional butter.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.