Bang Bang Buffalo Chicken are amazingly moist and crunchy chicken bites served with sweet buffalo chili dipping sauce. Great as an main dish or appetizer.
This Buffalo Bang Bang Chicken recipe was inspired by an unopened bottle of Buffalo Wing Sauce I discovered on a back shelf in the pantry. Rather than chicken wings (can you ever get tired of tasty chicken wings? ) I wanted to try something different with the Buffalo Wing Sauce. So I made a fry batter for crispy chicken breast chunks instead.
The chicken came out totally amazing! It’s the crispiest, delicious chicken chunks that I have ever had. This recipe takes a little effort to make with the deep frying and all, but it was so worth it.
What’s Bang Bang Chicken?
According to legend, Bang Bang Chicken (from Bon Bon Chicken) is a Chinese dish made of shredded or small cut chicken pieces drizzled with a spicy sauce. It’s called Bang Bang from the sound the stick or hammer makes when it’s used to tenderize the meat.
Ingredients to Make Bang Bang Chicken
- Chicken Breasts – the boneless, skinless variety. It’s the easiest cut of chicken to slice into small pieces.
- Buttermilk – we used low fat buttermilk to make this recipe.
- Eggs – we always use large eggs to make our recipes.
- Buffalo Wing Sauce
- All-Purpose Flour – nothing fancy here!
- Cornstarch – essential for this recipe!
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Oil for Frying – we love vegetable oil for frying, but canola or other light, neutral flavor oil is fine.
Why Use Buttermilk for the Batter?
Buttermilk’s high acid level helps tenderize the chicken by working directly to loosen the chicken fibers. It also adds a distinctive tangy flavor that compliments the buffalo sauce in this recipe.
These delicious Buffalo Bang Bang Chicken bites are amazing served with Sweet Buffalo Chili Sauce.
More Chicken Recipes To Love
- Kickin Teriyaki Hot Wings
- Lime Marinated Chicken Tacos
- Crispy Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
- Oven Chicken Chimichangas
- Cajun Honey Lime Chicken Wings
Bang Bang Buffalo Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp buffalo sauce
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs more as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying or more as needed
Sweet Buffalo Chili Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Buffalo Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- Set out a large baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, hot sauce and sweet chili sauce until smooth. Set aside. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, eggs, buttermilk, and buffalo hot sauce. Blend completely. If batter is too thick, thin with a splash of buttermilk.
- Spread out Panko in a shallow dish. Working in batches, coat chicken pieces in batter, roll in Panko, and set on baking sheet until all pieces are coated
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in small batches, fry chicken pieces in oil for 5-6 minutes, until cooked thru and golden brown, turning over when one side is browned.
- Drain chicken pieces on paper towel lined plate. Transfer to serving plate. Serve hot with dipping sauce.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.