Tangy and sweet, these crispy honey mustard chicken wings coated with a zesty mustard sauce are always a hit for parties, game days or an easy meal!
CRISPY HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN WINGS
These oven-baked crispy honey mustard chicken wings are exactly that…super crispy. No deep-fryer needed- you’ll use a simple pantry ingredient you probably already have called baking powder! I know, it sounds wrong, just plain wrong. But believe me, it’s true.
Baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA) and salt work together to dry out the skin and raise carbon dioxide bubbles to make the skin bubbly and crunchy. The chicken wings might look white and powdery at first, but cooking takes care of that. And no worries about the meat drying out -it stays moist and delicious. This is a serious win if you want crunchy wings but not the calories or mess of the fryer!
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE CRISPY HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN WINGS
This is a simple recipe with pantry ingredients and spices you probably already have. Nothing fancy here!
- Chicken Wings – about 2-1/2 to 3 pounds cut into drumettes and wingettes.
- Aluminum Free Baking Powder – this ingredient is NOT interchangeable with baking soda.
- Kosher Salt – table salt is okay too.
- Ground Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne (optional) – we love the heat!
- Yellow Mustard
- Stone Ground Mustard – Dijon or Spicy Brown will work, but the texture and flavor will be different.
- Honey – this is our favorite raw honey.
- Mayonnaise – the best southern brand! Light mayonnaise is okay, but fat-free may not mix well for the dip.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN WINGS IN THE OVEN
- First, preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C). First, line a large rimmed sheet pan with foil. Then add a wire rack to your pan, so the fat and juices can drip off the wings, creating completely crispy wings. Lightly spray your rack with non-stick cooking spray if you’re afraid the wings will stick.
- Coat your wings with salt, pepper, seasoning and baking powder (NOT Baking Soda – they are different). Place the coated wings on the baking rack and into the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 20 minutes to get them good and crispy. Brush your favorite sauce or glaze on the wings during the last 5 minutes of baking to let the sauce caramelize on the wings. Be sure to test the wings with an instant read thermometer. A reading of 165°F means they’re done!
SERVE HONEY MUSTARD WINGS
Serve your Crispy Honey Mustard Chicken Wings with the Mayo/Mustard wing sauce, Buttermilk Ranch Dressing or Herb Greek Yogurt Dip. Don’t forget the veggies on the side….cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks add some sweetness to offset the tang of the wings. Game day has never tasted so good!
We leave a few plain for the kids when we serve these wings as a family meal. They like to dip the crunchy wings in ketchup…to each his own. I’m just glad their eating!
Crispy Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place rack on upper middle position of oven. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil and fit oven-safe wire rack inside. Lightly spray the rack with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pat dry the chicken, removing as much moisture from the skin as possible.
- In a small bowl, mix the baking powder, salt, black pepper, garlic and onion powders and cayenne. Rub mixture over each chicken wing and place on wire rack.
- Bake on rack for 30 minutes. Turn wings over and bake an additional 20 minutes. Wings are done when digital meat thermometer reads 165°F when inserted in thickest part of wing. Be careful to avoid the bones.
- While wings are cooking, whisk together yellow mustard, whole grain mustard and honey. Brush over wings during last 5 minutes of baking to glaze.
- Mix remaining mustard mixture with mayonnaise to make dipping sauce for the wings.
- Serve wings immediately with dipping sauce or ranch dressing.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!