Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich is a marinated chicken thigh that has been fried to golden and crunchy perfection.
Make a spicy fried chicken sandwich with this recipe and you will be second guessing getting in that fast food line forever. And talk about fast…this is one quick is quick and easy to prepare recipe.
One must around our house is food must have tons of flavor, so I add lots of spices to most of my meat dishes. Using different cuts of meat is another way to add flavor. The first time I made this fried chicken sandwich I used chicken breasts. It was super tasty and got rave reviews, and if you love chicken breasts the sandwich is perfectly fine. However, chicken thighs have so much more more flavor, so now that’s the standard me for this recipe.
It’s so easy…just mix up an easy marinade and make a quick sauce. Then dredge the chicken in flour and fry. Throw frozen potatoes in the oven while the chicken is cooking and there you have have a complete meal. Honestly, this sandwich is spicy, but it’s not overpowering.
Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich is a marinated chicken thigh that has been fried to golden and crunchy perfection. It is served on bun with a thick sliced pickle and slathered with buttermilk chili sauce. The secret is in the simple marinade, leaving the chicken moist with melt-in-your-mouth flavor.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1–1/2 TBSP sriracha
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1–1/2 cups cake flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- 6 large sandwich buns
- green leaf lettuce and thick dill pickle slices for serving.
- Whisk the buttermilk, sriracha, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper into a medium bowl. Transfer 1/4 cup of the buttermilk mixture to a small bowl and whisk in the mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Add the chicken to the bowl with the remaining buttermilk mixture. Toss to coat the chicken completely. Cover and let marinade in the refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine the cake flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in a shallow dish.
- Heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large dutch oven or deep skillet over medium-heat.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture than shake off any excess. Fry until golden and cooked thru, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a rack set over a baking sheet to drain.
- Divide the buttermilk chili sauce equally among the roll bottoms. Top with lettuce, chicken thigh then dill pickle slices. Add the roll tops and serve with thick cut fries.
Note – Reduced fat mayonnaise was used for this recipe
Note – for the salt-sensitive, all added salt may be omitted from the recipe. Add salt before serving if desired.
**Serving suggestion – make extra buttermilk chili sauce for dipping.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken thigh sandwich
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!