Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan is an Italian classic made with moist chicken thighs coated in tangy tomato sauce and covered with a layer of bubbling mozzarella cheese – made easy in the crock pot!
Lately, I have been on a rampage (my son’s word) with my slow cookers! It is amazing to me that in a simple electric pot with a lid you can make pasta, baked potatoes and even desserts. Last year, I made our entire Thanksgiving dinner in my slow cookers…it was awesome! No crowding stuff into the oven, then screaming at people to get out of my way as I opened the oven door to stuff more in!!
Normally I use chicken breasts for chicken parmesan, but for this recipe I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Sometimes chicken breasts can dry out in the slow cooker, so I changed it up. The thighs have incredible flavor and stay juicy while cooking for hours!
It is really tasty served over angel hair pasta. Just ladle the extra sauce on thick so it soaks down and flavors the pasta underneath! I like to serve it with crusty bread to soak up the last of the sauce in the bowl…yummy!
Tips and Hints on how to make the best Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan recipe:
- Start with quality meat – use organic chicken breasts if possible
- When it comes to using spices, keep the shelf fresh by storing spices in a cool, dark place, away from direct heat or sunlight. In tightly closed containers whole spices will stay fresh for about 4 years, ground spices for about 2 to 3 years and dried herbs for 1 to 3 years.
- Using fresh herbs is always best when the recipe calls for it. Unfortunately sometimes the grocer doesn’t carry them or they are not in season. When this happens I use re-hydrated herbs. I just soak the amount of herbs I need it in a few drops of water and it re-hydrates to almost fresh. The smell and color were like fresh herbs, and to have herbs on hand anytime is a real treat. You can find jars of dehydrated herbs in the spice aisle or produce section of most grocery stores.
MORE SLOW COOKER PASTA IDEAS
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan with Penne Pasta – family pasta meal loaded with cheese
- Slow Cooker Easy Spaghetti – meaty family meal all in one pot
- Slow Cooker Herb Chicken Noodle – an American classic to satisfy your pasta craving
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- fresh basil and parmesan for garnish, optional
- cooked angel hair pasta for serving, optional
- Into the slow cooker, pour about 1/4 of the pasta sauce into the bottom. Salt and pepper the chicken thighs liberally and throw them into the slow cooker on top of the pasta sauce.
- Add the remaining pasta sauce, the can of tomatoes with the juice, the italian seasoning and the garlic into the slow cooker on top of the chicken. Stir to combine and coat the chicken with sauce.
- Cover and set the slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked thru, lay the mozzarella slices over the top, replace the lid and heat until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with basil and parmesan and serve over pasta.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.