Pistachio Pineapple Fluff – aka Watergate Pudding, is a luscious holiday dessert of whipped topping, pudding mix, pineapple, marshmallow and pistachios.
Pistachio Pineapple Fluff (Watergate Pudding)
Pistachio Pineapple Fluff is a super simple dessert made from just 5 ingredients. Pistachio pudding mix, crushed pineapple, whipped topping, marshmallows and pistachio nuts are folded together and then chilled. That’s it! I like to throw a some extra nuts on top before serving, to make it extra crunchy and delicious.
I first learned of this yummy dessert when my mother-in-law served a giant (think 5-gallon bucket) batch of it during my first Thanksgiving with their family. It was too many years to think about. Anyway, this amazing dessert did the impossible…it made my favorite pistachios taste even better! I’ve made it every holiday season since then.
Why’s it called Watergate Pudding?
This is a dish with many names, like Watergate Salad, Pistachio Delight and Shut The Gate Salad. Kraft created a recipe for it’s new pistachio pudding mix in 1975 called “Pistachio Pineapple Delight”. The recipe came out during the Watergate scandal and the public renaming of this dish was part of the trend to call recipes satirical names from the politics of the day.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
How To Make Pistachio Pineapple Fluff (Watergate Pudding)
I can’t stress this enough…this is one of the easiest and tastiest desserts you’ll ever make. Mix, chill and eat. Simple, right?
- Gather your 5 ingredients.
- Open pudding box(es) and dump into a large bowl.
- Open can of pineapple (in it’s own juice) and dump both pineapple and juice into the bowl with the pudding. Stir together until pudding starts to thicken.
- Fold in whipped topping (cool whip), mini marshmallows and pistachios until combined and no white streaks remain.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Serve.
Ingredients Needed For This Recipe
- Pistachio Instant Pudding Mix
- Crushed Pineapple (packed in juice)
- Non-Dairy Whipped Topping
- Mini Marshmallows
- Pistachio Nuts
Can Pistachio Pineapple Fluff Be Made Ahead
Sure can. This recipe can be made up to 1 day ahead. Store covered in the refrigerator until serving.
- Glass Mixing Bowls – you can’t go wrong with these classic glass mixing bowls.
- Slotted Serving Spoon – my favorite serving spoon set!
Pistachio Pineapple Fluff
Click on highlighted ingredients to buy them.
- 20 ounce crushed pineapple, packed in juice, from a can, do not drain
- 2 (3.4) ounce boxes instant pistachio pudding mix
- 8 ounce non-dairy whipped topping
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup pistachios, chopped
- Place pineapple and juice into a large bowl. Stir in pistachio pudding mix and stir until juice starts to thicken.
- Fold in whipped topping and marshmallows until evenly distributed. Fold in pistachios.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow pudding mix to completely dissolve.
- Fluff with a spoon and garnish with additional pistachios before serving.
- Store leftovers in a tightly covered container in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!