Overnight French Toast Recipe, soaked in a mouthwatering egg custard, is prepped the night before and baked to golden, puffy perfection! Great for weekends, brunch and holidays!
Tired of standing over the stove and making french toast a few slices at a time? With this easy overnight french toast recipe, you make breakfast the night before then just pop it in the oven and watch it bake. Once you’ve tried it, you’ll want to make more, like family favorites Overnight Blueberry Streusel French Toast and Oven Strawberry French Toast.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST
Only 7 ingredients are needed to have this tasty french toast ready to pop in the oven!
- Italian Bread Loaf
- Vanilla Extract
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST
- Too much dairy or not enough mixing results in a thin custard mixture. This will make the bread soggy. Measure carefully and whisk the eggs into the dairy until completely combined.
- Use the right bread. Standard sliced loaf bread is not sturdy enough to absorb the custard and retain a nice texture. An Italian or French loaf are great for baked french toast, as well as Brioche or Challah.
- Soak the bread for at least 15 – 20 minutes before baking. The entire slice should be coated and soaked in the custard. You might need to press down on the bread to help the custard absorb.
- Adjust the sugar – you don’t want the custard to be overly sweet if you are going to serve the french toast with syrup or dusting with powdered sugar.
HOW TO DRY OUT BREAD FOR FRENCH TOAST
The easiest way to get dried bread for making french toast is to buy a whole bread loaf and let it sit in the package on your counter for a few days. If your bread is too fresh, follow these steps below to get your bread ready in a jiffy.
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Slice the bread loaf into slices as called for in the recipe.
- Arrange the slices in a single layer on sheet pan large enough to fit all the bread slices with no overlap.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 15 minutes until the bread is dry and toasted, but not browned.
- Use the dried-out bread in your recipe.
HUNGRY FOR MORE BREAKFAST? TRY THESE POPULAR RECIPES:
- Blueberry Vanilla Monkey Bread – baked in buttery syrup
- Cinnamon Walnut Monkey Bread – oozing with sticky caramel and nuts
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Coconut Oatmeal – a bowlful of hearty breakfast flavor
Overnight French Toast Recipe
Click on highlighted ingredients to buy them.
- Butter or spray a 9 x 13 baking pan. Cut bread into 1-inch slices, lay slices flat in the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Add the milk and beat by hand to blend. Whisk in eggs until well combined.
- Pour all the mixture over the bread, covering each slice completely with the egg mixture. The mixture should absorb completely overnight.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight
- To bake, pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Let the chilled pan sit out while you pre-heat.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 40 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Let the pan cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.