These tortilla taco cups are fun appetizers and a tasty twist on taco night. The layers of seasoned beef and melting cheese are heated in mini corn tortilla cups, then loaded with your favorite taco toppings!
Our family loves taco night. Tacos aren’t just eaten around here, they’re devoured! It’s a favorite meal that we have at least once a week…sometimes more. For a fresh twist, I started serving them using this mini taco appetizer recipe and I’ve got to say they have been a huge hit. I can’t wait to make them for game days and holiday parties too!
Making these crunch taco cups with corn tortillas is super simple. Just heat the oven, spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray, heat the tortillas and shape in the muffin wells. Bake for about 10 minutes and viola, there’s mini crunchy taco cups ready to be filled!
There’s no limit to how you can fill the corn tortilla cups, so the flavor combinations are endless. Here I’ve used beef, but chicken and shrimp are scrumptious too! Try out different meat and cheese combos like swapping the Mexican cheese for monterey jack cheese or crumbled cotija. Change the Corn Red Pepper Salsa for some homemade Pico De Gallo and you’ve got a fresh, new taste.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
Fill the cups with seasoned meat and sprinkle on the cheese. You then pop the pan back in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and the meat is hot. How easy is that?
Time Saving Tip – if you are already making seasoned beef for tacos, why not make extra? Buy a few pounds of ground beef and extra seasoning (or make your own), then freeze that delicious meat to use later. Just thaw in the refrigerator overnight or microwave right from the freezer and you have ready-made taco filling just waiting for some love!
Load on your favorite taco condiments and serve. I like to double or triple this recipe for parties because they are usually the first thing everyone goes for!
HUNGRY FOR MORE EASY TACO SEASONED BEEF RECIPES?
- 12 corn tortillas, 4-1/2 inch size
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning or Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Corn Red Pepper Salsa, sour cream and jalapeno slices for garnish
To Make the Tortilla Cups:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly mist muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place a damp paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Working three at a time, cover tortillas with a second damp paper towel and microwave for 10 seconds on High power. Tortillas will be Hot!
- Working quickly, form tortillas into a bowl in the bottom of muffin wells, overlapping the sides, or turn muffin pan upside down and place tortillas between cups to make a shallow bowl.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 – 12 minutes, until crisp and starting to brown. Tortillas will continue to crisp as they cool. Leave oven on.
To Make the Filling:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the beef until no pink remains. Use wooden spoon to break up chunks.
- Add taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water. Stir to combine.
- Bring beef mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 8 -10 minutes until liquid has evaporated.
- Divide meat evenly among prepared shells, using spoon to pack down. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Return filled shells to oven and bake 3 – 4 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Garnish as desired and serve warm.
* Nutrition information is for 1 taco cup filled with meat and cheese.
Keywords: mini taco cup appetizer
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!