Jiffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Muffins are moist and cheesy with just the right amount of sweetness and spice. A great snacking muffin or a cozy side for your favorite soup.
I know… I’m cheating. The cornmeal and baking powder sitting on my pantry shelves will have to wait. I’m wracked with guilt over my love affair with this delightful little blue box of cornmeal mix. The fall from grace was swift and I’m sure I’ll pay for it (probably add a few pounds) but I make no apologies…for how easy it is to use a baking mix.
HOW TO MAKE JIFFY JALAPENO CHEDDAR CORNBREAD MUFFINS
You can’t go wrong when you add cream cheese, lots of shredded cheese and jalapenos to this basic sweet muffin mix. It’s like a savory muffin version of our popular cream cheese jiffy cornbread. Cream cheese has rocked my cornbread world. Try it, you’ll like it!
With my grandson and his big appetite living with us, everything has to be kid friendly. So I didn’t go whole hog on the jalapenos (my fav amount for the adult version is about a 1/2 cup)…but feel free to add more if you like the heat.
Ingredients to make Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins
- Jiffy Cornbread Mix – 2 boxes were used to make 12 muffins. For one box, just cut the recipe in half. There are lots of other brands of cornbread mix on the market, so use your favorite. * eggs and milk are on the Jiffy cornbread directions so that’s what I used and included in the ingredient list. If you use a different mix, the directions might be different.
- Cream cheese – a full 8-ounce block! Don’t start counting calories now…go on…use the full fat stuff.
- Eggs – part of the cornbread mix directions, so I included eggs as part of the ingredients.
- Pickled Jalapeno Peppers – from a jar. No one wants to bite into a big chunk of jalapeno, so mince them before adding in. Please!
- Milk – it’s on the cornbread mix directions, so I included it in the ingredient list. We always have 2% on hand, but whole milk is fine.
- Cheddar Cheese – buy a bag of pre-shredded (changed my life forever) or shred your own from a block. Mexican bland or Jack cheese are good substitutes.
This recipe has 3 basic steps.
- Heat the cream cheese until it’s soft enough to stir. A microwave is perfect for this. It takes about a minute on High power. OR you can heat water in a pot on the stove to boiling and set a mixing bowl on top to warm the cream cheese.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and stir gently until everything is combined.
- Use a cupcake scoop or spoon to fill the muffin wells to 3/4 full, then bake until golden on top. Poke one with a knife and if it comes out clean, they’re done. Easy!
Add even more flavor and zest to your cornbread muffins by using add-ins. These are our Tex-Mex favorites. Trying adding one or three or however many suit your fancy.
- pinch of cayenne
- can of drained whole kernel corn
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder or regular chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of chunky salsa
Now that you’ve made these amazing savory muffins, you might want to try some sweet ones.
Jiffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 2 (8.5 ounce) Jiffy Cornbread Mix 2 Boxes
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper slices minced
- 2 large eggs* lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk* whole or 2%
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease muffin tin. spray with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In medium bowl, heat the cream cheese in microwave for 1 – 2 minutes until soft enough to stir. Add in the cornbread mix, eggs, milk jalapenos and cheese. Stir gently to combine.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin. Bake on center rack of oven 20 – 22 minutes until golden brown on top and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.