Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice is made quick and easy using a pressure cooker. Mildly spicy with green chilies and garlic, it’s made from pantry staples and ready to serve in minutes.
When you want a quick supper or it’s just too hot to turn on the stove, grab the Instant Pot for this Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice dish. With just enough zest to make your heart flutter but not enough to burn, everyone will love it! It’s our go-to side for easy oven chicken tacos and chicken chimichangas. Sometimes we’ll make a meal of it with a side salad. Simple, delicious and 5 minutes of prep, this recipe checks all the boxes for easy eating.
How To Make Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice
This bold and tasty dish is so easy to make in your pressure cooker. It’s made form simple pantry ingredients and a few added scallions. Beans and rice are already a hearty combination, but throw in some extra protein like cooked chicken or shrimp for even more flavor😃.
Ingredients Needed For This Recipe:
- Basmati Rice (or other long-grain) – we love Basmati rice for the Instant Pot. Cooks light and fluffy every time.
- Broth – we used vegetable broth made from Better Than Bouillon. It keeps in the fridge for a very long time and easily let’s you make broth as you need it!
- Scallions (green Onions) – more subtle flavor than regular onions. The white part has more onion flavor than the green, so use both parts or just the green part as you like.
- Garlic – pre-minced garlic is our go-to for easy cooking. Substitute 2 teaspoons of garlic powder and add with the other spices if you don’t have fresh garlic.
- Black Beans – canned black beans are a healthy and easy way to get your protein. We rinsed and drained our beans to keep the rice fluffy.
- Diced Tomatoes – adds fresh flavor and color.
- Mild Green Chilies – add a little heat with a can of chopped mild green chilies.
- Spices – Cumin and Cayenne. Cayenne is very spicy…for less heat, add less cayenne.
First, use the saute function on the Instant Pot to heat your oil. Then cook the onions and garlic. Keep stirring while they cook. it only takes a few minutes. Now add the dry rice, broth and spices, set the Instant Pot to 4 minutes on High Pressure, close the vent and wait for the rice to cook. You’ll want to do a 10 minute natural release of the steam…this let’s the rice finish cooking to the perfect texture. (see notes below)
Once the rice is cooked and you’ve opened the Instant Pot, add the beans, green chilies and tomatoes. Stir gently to combine. Turn on the saute function for a minute or two, and stir to re-heat the mixture if it cooled too much when you added the canned ingredients.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Sesame Garlic Pasta
- Instant Pot Strawberry Cheesecake
- Best Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup
- Instant Pot Almond Rice
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks scallions thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup basmati rice or long-grain rice
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) canned diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chilies undrained
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot insert. Press saute button and allow oil to heat. Add scallions (green onion) and garlic. Cook until scallions are tender and garlic is fragrant.
- Add uncooked rice, broth, cumin and cayenne to Instant Pot. Stir to combine. Close the lid and lock it down. Select Pressure Cooker, and then adjust the + and – buttons to set for 4 minutes of cooking time. Be sure the vent is closed.
- When the cooking time is up, turn off the Instant Pot. Allow the pot to sit for 10 minutes while the pressure in the pot releases naturally, using 10 Minute Natural Pressure Release **. Turn the vent to release any remaining steam and open the lid.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, then stir in black beans, tomatoes and green chilies. Use saute function if mixture needs reheating. Serve warm.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.