Easy Oven Chicken Tacos are seasoned shredded chicken stuffed into refried bean smeared crunchy shells and topped with cheese. Baked easy in the oven then loaded with spoonfuls of fresh pineapple salsa.
When I’m looking for an fast and easy dinner that the entire family will eat, I often look to tacos. The best part is the condiments can be set out and everyone can add their own toppings to make them their own.
Even the kids, who might like something last week and now turn their noses up, will generally not flinch at tacos.
How to make Oven Chicken Tacos
Imagine crisping up the taco shells and filling them at the same time. With this oven method, there’s no more waiting for the shells to bake then more waiting time until they’re cool enough to handle and fill. It’s all done in one easy swoop. The only step left is to mix up a quick salsa and you’re ready for dinner.
- Be sure to warm up the refried beans to easily spread onto the taco shells. After heating, add milk a tablespoon at a time if the beans are too thick.
- The chicken mixture and salsa can be prepped a day ahead and stored in covered containers in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake the tacos.
- Omit the refried beans if you don’t like them. Just be sure to cook the chicken and sauce mixture until most of the moisture is gone so it doesn’t make the taco shells soggy during baking.
Ingredients to make chicken tacos
- Cooked Shredded Chicken – a rotisserie chicken (or leftovers) is great for making these tacos, or keep a stash of meal ready shredded chicken in the freezer by making Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken.
- Tomato Sauce
- Taco Seasoning – use store-bought or our popular Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Taco Shells – stand and stuff shells make filling the tacos super easy.
- Refried Beans
- Shredded Cheese – we used a Mexican blend for this recipe, but both cheddar or jack are great substitutes.
Ingredients to make Pineapple Black Bean Salsa
- Pineapple with Juice (or honey) – I used fresh pineapple for this recipe, but I’ve used canned pineapple tidbits in 100% juice before and it was delicious.
- Black Beans – Be sure to rinse and drain the beans. I patted the beans down with paper towels to dry them off after rinsing to avoid watering down the salsa.
- Habanero Peppers – these peppers are really hot, like between 100,000 and 350,000 on the Scoville scale compared to 3,000 to 8,000 for jalapenos. They are very small and I only used a single one. Substitute in jalapeno if you think the habanero might be too much heat for you.
- Lime – use fresh lime juice! Enough said.
Spread the heated refried beans on the bottom of the shells. Then fill with layers of chicken and cheese. Pop in the oven for 20 minutes and viola’!
Mix up a quick salsa like this one made from fresh pineapple and black beans, spoon it on top of shredded lettuce and sprinkle with queso fresco. A fresh and full of flavor dinner in no time.
You may also like
- One Pot Mexican Beef and Potatoes
- Mexican Chorizo Rice
- Crispy Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)
- Chicken Street Enchiladas
- Lime Marinated chicken Tacos
Oven Chicken Tacos
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning , or 1 packet
- 12 medium taco shells
- 16 ounce refried beans, canned
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, or cheddar
FOR THE SALSA
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 15 ounce black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium habanero pepper, seeded, remove any pith and mince
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice, or honey
- garnish with lettuce, extra shredded cheese or queso fresco
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To a skillet over medium heat, add shredded chicken, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Stir to combine and cook 4-5 minutes until chicken and sauce are heated thru.
- Add refried beans to medium sauce pan and cook over low heat until softened and can be stirred smooth. OR place refried beans in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on High at 1 minute intervals until can be stirred smooth.
- Spread 2 tablespoon of refried beans in bottom of each taco shell. Divide chicken, then shredded cheese equally among taco shells and place standing up in a large baking pan with sides touching. Bake on center rack of oven for 16 – 20 minutes until shells are cripsy on the edges and cheese is melted.
- In a medium bowl, add the pineapple, black beans, minced habanero, lime juice and pineapple juice. Stir to combine.
- Assemble tacos by topping each with shredded lettuce, pineapple salsa and cheese
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.