Instant Pot Orange Chicken, based on the Chinese take out favorite, has an addictive sweet sticky sauce and a touch of heat. Quick and easy, this recipe has dinner served in less than 30 minutes. It’s perfect for busy weeknights and tasty enough for weekend guests.
Instant Pot Orange Chicken is an easy dish that you can whip together in under 30 minutes. Full of protein and Vitamin C, you can feel good about serving this to your family. Served with farro, this sweet and sticky chicken makes a hearty meal that will become part of the dinner rotation at your house.
Tips and Tricks for making the best Instant Pot Orange Chicken Recipe:
- I like to start with quality meat – use organic chicken breasts if possible
- Using fresh squeezed orange juice gives this recipe the best flavor with no added sugar. Fresh orange zest is essential for this recipe and just be sure to zest the orange BEFORE squeezing. Anyone who has tried to zest after squeezing an orange knows exactly what I mean!
Looking for more Chinese-American style recipes? Check my collection here:
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef with Broccoli – healthy and better than takeout
- Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken – sticky sweet and spicy without standing in line
- Slow Cooker Garlic Honey Chicken – easy, sweet and savory main dish
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken – serve over rice for a taste treat
As you are reading the cooking instructions below, you may wonder what 10 Minute Natural Pressure Release is. It is the method recommended for meat, soups, liquids and foods that may froth, like grains. This method takes 10 minutes and allows pressure to release naturally once the heat for the cooking program is turned off. After 10 minutes, carefully turn the valve to allow any remaining pressure to be released, then open the lid.
Essential Tools and Ingredients used to make Instant Pot Orange Chicken Recipe:
- Instant Pot – I love this multi-function counter top tool that can work as both a slow cooker and pressure cooker. I also love that the Saute’ function allows me to brown meat and veggies right in the pot.
- Fresh Oranges – these stars of the produce aisle add amazing freshness and aroma.
Here is the handy printable recipe. Enjoy!Print
Instant Pot Orange Chicken has an addictive sweet sticky sauce and a touch of heat. Quick and easy, this recipe has dinner served in less than 30 minutes. It’s perfect for busy weeknights and tasty enough for weekend guests.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1–2 inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, about 6 cloves
- 1/2 cup orange juice + 2 Tablespoons
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar***
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Ponzu*
- 1 teaspoon sriracha**
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- 1 extra orange, sliced for garnish (optional)
- To help the chicken brown, dry the chicken breasts with paper towel to remove all moisture. Cut into 1 – 2 inch chunks.
- Heat up the Instant Pot. Press the Saute button, and keep pressing the button to toggle to MORE on the indicator. MORE function means that the food will be saute’d over medium-high heat. Wait for the display to read HOT.
- Add the oil to the Instant Pot. When hot, add the chicken and saute for 3-4 minutes. Stir the chicken constantly so the chicken does not stick to the bottom of the pan. If you see excess moisture at the bottom of the Instant Pot, use a spoon to remove the excess moisture and discard it. Cook until the chicken is golden. If you have any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan, de-glaze the pan by pouring in 1/4 cup of the orange juice and stirring until the bits have released.
- Add the Ginger, garlic, orange juice,water, red pepper flakes, vinegar, honey, brown sugar, Ponzu and Sriracha to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine and coat the chicken.
- Close the lid and select the Pressure Cooker function. Set on HIGH for 5 minutes. Make sure the Keep Warm light is ON and the Vent is CLOSED.
- Use the 10 Minute Natural Release method. Turn off the heat, carefully open the vent and vent the remaining pressure. Remove the lid.
- Again, select the Saute’ function. Select LOW.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of orange juice until smooth. Add to the Instant Pot and Saute’ until the sauce is thickened. If the sauce is too thin, mix another tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of water and add it to the pot.
- Turn off the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes to continue thickening.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with green onion and orange slices.Serve with rice or a grain like farro for a complete meal.
*Ponzu is like soy-sauce, but has citrus flavors added. It is readily available in the Asian aisle at the grocery store.
**If you like less heat, omit the sriracha from the recipe
*** Champagne vinegar or another light vinegar can be substituted for the rice vinegar
Keywords: Orange chicken,chicken,Chinese,orange,dinner,main dish,take out