Elegant and delicious, this Honey Glazed Butternut Squash is sure to be the star of any brunch or dinner table! A sweet, crunchy, and healthy dish that can also be made ahead!
One of my favorite flavor combinations is butternut squash and honey. Truly! They just work together. Add butter and panko and you can just watch this dish disappear! It’s like magic. I usually make two pans of honey glazed butternut squash at a time….it is even better as leftovers!
How To Make Honey Glazed Butternut Squash
First, peel and remove the seeds from the butternut squash. Then, cut the squash into thin slices. Isn’t the color amazing! Go HERE to see how to easily peel and seed the squash.
Put the cut slices into a microwave safe bowl, add water and cover with plastic. Cook for about 6 minutes until the squash just starts to get tender.
Add oil, salt and pepper to the squash and stir carefully to combine. You can see in the photo that I went a little wild with my stirring and tore some of the squash pieces.
Then, carefully stack the slices into your baking pan and drizzle with honey mixture. Bake the squash until it is really tender, about 50 minutes or so.
After that, sprinkle on the cooked butter and panko and serve. Then watch it disappear!
Make Ahead Baked Squash
This dish is very simple to make ahead for any gathering or a make ahead supper.
Assemble the honey glazed butternut squash in a baking pan according to the recipe directions, but do not bake it. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
When ready to serve, set the pan on the counter for 30 minutes to reduce the chill. Make the panko crumb topping, sprinkle over the squash and bake 45 to 50 minutes in a 375 degree oven. *It may take a few minutes longer due to the squash having been chilled.
Looking for more delicious vegetable side dish recipes? Check out some of my collection here:
- Parmesan Chive Corn on the Cob – bursting with buttery flavor
- Orzo with Snap Peas and Peanuts – protein and fiber rich
- Creamed Cauliflower – tasty mashed potato alternative
- Quinoa Vegetable Medley – with a splash of tangy Balsamic
- Basil Corn Cakes – top with Maple Bacon Butter
- Honey Dill Glazed Carrots – sweet and savory side
Honey Glazed Butternut Squash Recipe
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp dried thyme divided
- 1 large butternut squash (about 5 lbs) peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil divided
- 1-1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1-1/2 tsp pepper divided
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9 x 12 baking dish, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat honey and 1/2 tsp thyme, stirring occasionally over low heat for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe dish, place the squash and water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high until the squash is just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain. Add vegetable oil, 1 tsp each salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Arrange squash slices by stacking in greased baking dish. (Tip baking dish on it's side to make stacking the squash slices easier.) Drizzle 1/4 cup of the honey mixture over the squash.
- Bake until squash is fully tender, 45-50 minutes.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add panko, and remaining thyme, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until panko is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle over baked squash and drizzle remaining honey mixture over the top.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.