Creamed Cauliflower with cream, butter and seasonings is a healthy and tasty alternative to your favorite mashed potatoes.
That we need to eat healthier food is something that most of us can agree on. I am always searching for recipes that have tons of flavor, and are low calorie or low carb. With Creamed Cauliflower, I hit pay dirt! Even the kids love this recipe and unless I tell them otherwise (and why would I do that?)they think it is mashed potatoes. Who knew that a vegetable that started out so …ahem…unattractive could become something so amazing!
Making creamed cauliflower couldn’t be easier. If you can boil water you can make this dish. All you dois boil the cauliflower until tender, add all the other ingredients with the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until smooth. That’s it!
*TIP – for smooth and creamy cauliflower, you’ll want to break out the food processor. The blades will cut the stringy cooked stems and they’ll become smooth just like the florets. Or use a blender to do the same thing. A hand mixer is not recommended.
Creamed Cauliflower is one of those sides that compliments just about anything. It is a great alternative to rice when served with stir-fry vegetables or chicken. Or serve it with fried chicken and gravy. I know, I know we are going for healthy here.
Looking for more delicious vegetable side dish recipes? Check out some of my collection here:
- Quinoa Vegetable Medley – with a splash of tangy Balsamic
- Basil Corn Cakes – top with Maple Bacon Butter
- Honey Dill Glazed Carrots – sweet and savory side
- Parmesan Chive Corn on the Cob – bursting with buttery flavor
- Honey Glazed Butternut Squash Recipe – star of the table
- Orzo with Snap Peas and Peanuts – protein and fiber rich
We actually prefer this dish to real mashed potatoes. I probably should not tell you this…but my sons put gravy on them! They say it tastes the same. Part of how I get that great flavor is to add little onion powder, nutmeg and seasoned salt to the mix.
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 1 large cauliflower head, cut into florets (8 cups)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, or half and half
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp parsley , optional
- Place cauliflower in the bottom of large pot. Add 2 inches of water. Cover the pot and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes, until cauliflower is fork tender. Drain and transfer cauliflower to bowl of food processor.
- Add cream, butter, onion powder, seasoned salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pulse until cauliflower is smooth. You may need to work in batches. Scrape into serving dish.
- Garnish with parsley, pepper and additional butter (optional) and serve hot.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!