Before jumping to the recipe, check out the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post. I hope you’ll find them useful and will love this recipe!
Take your flavor south of the border with this Easy Taco Pasta Casserole. With 8 ingredients and 45 minutes you’ll have a tasty meal your family will love!
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
Casseroles are really popular here in Ohio when the weather turns cold , and this Easy Taco Pasta Casserole really hits the spot. With pasta, lots of cheese and a cornbread crust, it checks all of the comfort food boxes. The ingredients are easy to find and you may already have many of them in your pantry.
One of the best things about this recipe is that the pasta cooks right in the pan. No boiling pots of water or extra pans to clean up!
Taco meat makes even the simplest dishes taste amazing, and the kids will love it! As far as I’m concerned, you can’t have too many taco night recipes. One of our favorites you might want to try is Easy Taco Biscuit Casserole. It’s tasty and simple and made in one pan too!
HOW TO MAKE EASY TACO PASTA CASSEROLE
It doesn’t get much easier to put a hearty meal on the table than this one-pan pasta meal.
- First, preheat your oven to 400°. Let it get to temperature while you are cooking the other ingredients.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, brown the ground beef over med-high heat. When no pink remains, drain off the fat.
- Add the uncooked pasta, taco seasoning, both cans tomatoes with chilies (undrained), and water to the browned beef. Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer covered over low heat for 20 minutes. Stir the pan occasionally.
- When ready the pasta will be tender and all of the liquid will have been absorbed. Add the shredded cheese to the meat mixture and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Stir the cornbread mix, egg and milk in a small bowl until well blended. Drop all of the mixture by the spoonful onto the taco/pasta mixture. Most of the taco mixture will be covered.
- Bake in the skillet for 20 minutes until the cornbread topping is golden brown. Cool slightly before serving. Garnish as desired.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
Though we generally don’t have any leftovers of this meal, cue up 3 hungry men with plates and forks in their hands, this casserole will keep well refrigerated for up to 3 days. Store in an airtight container or tightly wrapped.
CAN I MAKE A TACO PASTA CASSEROLE WITH CHICKEN?
Yes, this recipe can be made with chicken. Substitute 1 pound of ground chicken for the beef and prepare the casserole the same way. You can also use shredded or diced cooked chicken. For already cooked chicken, just omit the step for browning the meat.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Oven-Proof Skillet – my favorite cast iron pan ever! It’s safe up to 900°F. Works on all stove top surfaces including induction.
Measuring Cup – convenient sizes measuring the water and milk.
Mixing bowls – virtually indestructible classic glass mixing bowl set that every cook needs to have!
South of the Border flavor with this hot family dish. 45 minutes, one pan and 8 ingredients are all you need!
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 8 oz spiral or macaroni pasta , dry and uncooked
- 1 packet of Beef Taco seasoning
- 2 10 oz cans of cut tomatoes with green chilies – do not drain
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 8.5 oz package instant cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- diced tomato, sour cream and extra cheddar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees.
- Brown the ground beef over med-high heat in a large oven-proof skillet until no pink remains, drain.
- Add the uncooked pasta, Taco Seasoning, both cans tomatoes with chilies, and water to the browned beef.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer cover low heat for 20 minutes until pasta is cooked and liquid is absorbed.. Stir occasionally.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- In a small bowl, stir the cornbread mix, egg and milk until well blended.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto the taco/pasta mixture. Most of the taco mixture should be covered.
- Bake in the 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, until the cornbread topping is golden brown.
- Cool slightly and serve. Garnish as desired.
*If you don’t have an oven-proof skillet, follow all steps until Step 5. Transfer ingredients to a greased 9 x 13 pan and continue to Step 6.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
Post and photos updated 5/6/2019.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!