This easy Chicken Taco Casserole is sauce coated tortillas, a zesty mix of chicken, beans, chilies and seasoning, topped with a thick layer of melted cheese. Boldly flavored and simple to make, it’s a weeknight meal the family will love.
Taco chicken, black beans, enchilada sauce and ooey gooey melted cheese all baked into an easy chicken taco casserole that will have you hooked with the first bite. Simply delicious flavor that will definitely satisfy your Mexican food cravings – I promise.
This recipe’s a great way to re-purpose leftovers like rotisserie chicken and those few remaining tortillas that are left in the package.
HOW TO MAKE A CHICKEN TACO CASSEROLE
Talk about easy to make for a quick weeknight dinner! With ready made green enchilada sauce and some cooked chicken, this hearty meal’s on the table in less than an hour. **Make Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken for the freezer and you’ll always have chicken for easy recipes.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE EASY CHICKEN TACO CASSEROLE
- Tortillas – flour or corn tortillas are both fine for this recipe.
- Cooked Chicken – it’s a great way to use up leftovers.
- Black Beans – be sure to rinse and drain the beans!
- Tomatoes with Green Chilies – use the can that contains them both. If you don’t want the chilies, substitute a can of petite diced tomatoes. Sometimes we use fire-roasted tomatoes to change it up.
- Corn – frozen corn kernels or canned both are good.
- Taco Seasoning – use the packets or make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning.
- Cheese – Shredded Mexican blend is our favorite.
- Green Enchilada Sauce – use a brand you like, or make your won.
Tip – cut up and shred the meat from a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to get easy cooked chicken. Blend white and dark meat for the best flavor.
Get started by poring some of the sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Cut the tortillas in half and line the bottom of the pan with them. Turn them over in the sauce to coat.
Mix the chicken, beans, tomatoes with chilies, corn, seasoning, some of the cheese and the remaining sauce in a large bowl. Spread over the tortillas, then sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bake in the oven and serve.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- One Pot Mexican Beef and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Beef Taco Stack
- Easy Taco Biscuit Casserole
- Lime Marinated Chicken Tacos
Chicken Taco Casserole
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 3 large tortillas, cut in half, flour or corn
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 15 ounce canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 ounce diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 cup corn
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 tbsp green onion, sliced (optional)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/2 cup of sauce over bottom of prepared pan. Place tortillas one at a time in baking dish, turning over to coat, to cover bottom of baking pan.
- In large mixing bowl, add 1 cup shredded cheese, chicken, beans, tomatoes with chilies, corn, taco seasoning and remaining enchilada sauce. Stir to combine. Transfer to baking dish, smoothing into an even layer. Sprinkle with remaining cheese to cover.
- Cover pan with foil that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake on center rack of oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is melted and starting to brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with green onions to serve.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.