Whip up this moist and fluffy Easy Skillet Cornbread Recipe and leave your regular bread or biscuits behind. Soft on the inside with a deliciously crisp top crust, this recipe is a keeper.
Cornbread is love and comfort and warmth all in one. The sweet, nutty flavor and heavenly smell just gives me chills. In a good way. And boy, is this some moist and fluffy cornbread…I think the cast-iron skillet had something to do with it. You really have to make this amazing down-home cornbread to understand.
When I was a kid, my Dad would make his skillet cornbread to go with Sunday dinner. He put lots of yummy ingredients in like bacon fat and buttermilk. While I still love that kind of cornbread, this is a lighter version that is just as good.
Ingredients to make Skillet Cornbread
- Cornmeal – fine ground meal is the best.
- Flour – regular all-purpose flour!
- Sugar – white granulated sugar…or use brown sugar for more flavor.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Oil – vegetable or canola oil.
- Eggs – we always use large eggs for our recipe.
- Butter – unsalted butter let’s the cook determine how much salt to put in the recipe.
Pro tips for making the best cornbread
- Only mix the ingredients until blended. For the fluffiest cornbread, you don’t want to over work the gluten in the flour.
- Mix up the batter by hand, rather than an electric mixer. This way you can leave a few lumps in the batter that will moisten during baking and give the desired appearance to your cornbread
- For fluffy cornbread, let the batter rest for 10 – 15 minutes after mixing. This will allow air pockets to form.
- Put the un-greased skillet in the oven to preheat while you’re mixing the batter. This will give it nice crispy edges when done.
More Easy Cornbread Recipes
Easy Cornbread Recipe
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place skillet in oven as it is preheating.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour,sugar,baking powder,salt and baking soda. Whisk in the milk, oil and eggs until evenly combined.
- Remove skillet from oven and use 1 teaspoon butter or oil to grease the pan. Pour batter into skillet or pan and bake 25 – 35 minutes, until top of cornbread is golden and is pulling away from the sides of the pan. The top of the cornbread will be firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.