Whip up this moist and fluffy Easy Skillet Cornbread Recipe and leave your regular bread or biscuits behind. Soft on the inside with a deliciously crisp top crust, this recipe is a keeper.
Cornbread is love and comfort and warmth all in one. The sweet, nutty flavor and heavenly smell just gives me chills. In a good way. And boy, is this some moist and fluffy cornbread…I think the cast-iron skillet had something to do with it. You really have to make this amazing down-home cornbread to understand.
When I was a kid, my Dad would make his skillet cornbread to go with Sunday dinner. He put lots of yummy ingredients in like bacon fat and buttermilk. While I still love that kind of cornbread, this is a lighter version that is just as good.
Ingredients to make Skillet Cornbread
- Cornmeal – fine ground meal is the best.
- Flour – regular all-purpose flour!
- Sugar – white granulated sugar…or use brown sugar for more flavor.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Oil – vegetable or canola oil.
- Eggs – we always use large eggs for our recipe.
- Butter – unsalted butter let’s the cook determine how much salt to put in the recipe.
Pro tips for making the best cornbread
- Only mix the ingredients until blended. For the fluffiest cornbread, you don’t want to over work the gluten in the flour.
- Mix up the batter by hand, rather than an electric mixer. This way you can leave a few lumps in the batter that will moisten during baking and give the desired appearance to your cornbread
- For fluffy cornbread, let the batter rest for 10 – 15 minutes after mixing. This will allow air pockets to form.
- Put the un-greased skillet in the oven to preheat while you’re mixing the batter. This will give it nice crispy edges when done.
More Easy Cornbread Recipes
Easy Cornbread Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place skillet in oven as it is preheating.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour,sugar,baking powder,salt and baking soda. Whisk in the milk, oil and eggs until evenly combined.
- Remove skillet from oven and use 1 teaspoon butter or oil to grease the pan. Pour batter into skillet or pan and bake 25 – 35 minutes, until top of cornbread is golden and is pulling away from the sides of the pan. The top of the cornbread will be firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.