Easy Red Enchilada Sauce, a mixture of tomato sauce, vegetable broth plus savory spices creates a thick Red Enchilada Sauce for enchiladas, tamales, Mexican lasagna and more! Great for the freezer too!
If you love Mexican food, then Easy Red Enchilada Sauce recipe is for you! Made from scratch, you can easily triple this rich and thick sauce recipe to freeze for later!
One of the best things about making your own sauces is that you can control the ingredients and flavor. Many enchilada sauces on the market have fillers and thickeners that may contain preservatives and ingredients that aggravate food allergies and frankly don’t taste that great. This simple recipe takes only minutes to make, tastes amazing and is preservative and gluten-free.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE RED ENCHILADA SAUCE
With only 8 simple ingredients, you can make your own thick and rich Red Enchilada Sauce that will taste way better than anything yo can buy at the store! This recipe is also low carb and gluten-free, so enjoy!
- Tomato Sauce – keep a stash of this sauce on hand for whipping up soups, stews and sauces. Its; organic, vegan and can have non-BPA lining.
- Chili Powder – great chili powder blend from a member-owned company that is planet friendly.
- Cumin – from my favorite spice co-op.
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Vegetable Broth – great tasting organic broth and larger size for making large batches of sauces and soups.
HOW TO FREEZE RED ENCHILADA SAUCE
This Enchilada Sauce recipe is very freezer friendly. Because there is no added fat, the sauce freezes and thaws without any change in texture or flavor.
- Follow the recipe instructions and allow the cooked sauce to cool completely.
- Ladle the sauce into freezer-safe containers, label and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
MORE POPULAR SAUCE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE TO TRY:
- 7 Minute Yum Yum Sauce
- Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Korean Barbecue Sauce
- Zesty Salsa Verde Sauce
- Tangy Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
Easy Red Enchilada Sauce
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano, salt and cinnamon.
- Add vegetable broth to tomato mixture and stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 – 10 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Use immediately or allow to cool then store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!