Make crispy golden hash browns the easy way in the oven. Loaded with bacon and cheese, they taste amazing and you’re not stuck at the stove.
If you love breakfast potatoes but not all the splatter and mess on the stove, you’re going to LOVE these Easy Oven Hash Browns. Who wants to be a slave to the stove when you can just pop your hash browns in the oven and relax while they bake up golden, crisp and delicious. After standing at the stove making hash browns for breakfast, this oven method is now the only way we make hash browns.
The potatoes are amazing served for breakfast, brunch or as a side for supper. They’re so tasty and smell so good, they’re It’s always the first thing everyone piles on their plate
We got the idea from a dish at our favorite Mexican restaurant. They serve a delicious dish of spicy hash brown potatoes topped with cheese and chilies that we love. Our server told me they bake them first, then pop individual servings under the broiler for a few minutes to heat before serving. Awesome idea!
Hash Browns in the oven could not be more simple to make. All the ingredients except the butter are mixed in a big bowl, then dumped into a pie pan. Don’t have a pie pan? Use an 8 x 8 baking dish. Then drizzle on the butter! Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes until they are golden and then serve hot.
What you’ll need to make these Hash Browns
- Frozen Hash Brown Potatoes – refrigerated hash brown potatoes are fine too.
- Bacon – we used thick cut bacon for this recipe, but any cut will work just fine!
- Milk – whole milk or 2%
- Green Onions (Scallions) – Slice them thin and use only the green part for subtle onion flavor.
- Butter – at our house we only use unsalted butter so we can adjust the salt to our tastes. If using salted butter, reduce or omit the salt from the recipe to your own tastes.
- Spices – garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper to add lots of flavor to the potatoes.
What Potatoes to use for Hash Browns
We like to use frozen shredded potatoes that we’ve thawed in the refrigerator for this recipe. They’re also the most budget friendly. Most large grocery stores also sell refrigerated shredded potatoes and those are fine to use too. Some people like their potatoes diced, to each his own, and those can be substituted. Because the pieces of potato are slightly bigger, they might need a few more minutes in the oven to get nice and tender.
What to serve with Easy Oven Hash Browns
- Spicy Sweet Oven Bacon
- Egg Sausage Breakfast Sliders
- Oven Strawberry French Toast
- Cheesy Egg Sandwich with Smoked Scallion Sauce
- Slow Cooker Blueberry Almond Oatmeal
Easy Oven Hash Browns
- In a large bowl, stir together the potatoes, bacon, milk, green onions, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 9-inch pie pan.
- Melt the butter and drizzle over the potato mixture. Bake in 350°F oven until the top is crisp and golden, about 35 – 45 minutes. Serve hot.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.