This hearty Slow Cooker Cranberry Coconut Oatmeal is made with lots of creamy coconut milk, steel cut oats, chewy dried cranberries, brown sugar and pie spice. Top off each bowl with a handful of cranberries and coconut followed by a splash of coconut milk. A true breakfast of champions!
Are you like me and struggle to eat a healthy breakfast every morning? Then let me introduce you to the creamiest, dreamiest, hearty and healthy darn good breakfast that you may ever have – Slow Cooker Cranberry Coconut Oatmeal. I may be gushing (a little) but I am completely hooked. At least once a week, sometimes twice, I make a big pot and divide it into modest portions that we can eat all week long. This oatmeal checks off every box that I need for a good breakfast: great flavor, healthy, portion controlled and I am not hungry until lunchtime. Enough said!
Tips for making the best Slow Cooker Cranberry Coconut Oatmeal recipe:
- Use only good quality steel cut oats (not rolled oats) – I have said it before but the best tasting results start with the highest quality ingredients. Choose organic if possible.
- This dish can also be made in your Instant Pot using the Slow Cooker function. Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot. Cover and cook using the Slow Cooker function, setting to Normal for 2 – 3 hours. Make sure the steam release handle is turned to Venting.
- Use Unsweetened Coconut Milk from a carton, not a can. It has less fat and is perfect for making oats.
LOOKING FOR MORE SLOW COOKER OATMEAL RECIPES?
USING ROLLED OATS INSTEAD OF STEEL-CUT OATS
Sometimes we need to substitute one ingredient for another in recipes, depending on what’s in our pantry. If you are substituting rolled oats for the steel cut oats for this recipe, the oat-to-liquid ratio needs to be changed for the recipe to work.
For steel-cut oats, the ratio is 1 cup of oats to 4 cups liquid, or 1:4 ratio. For quick-cooking or rolled oats the ratio is 1 cup of oats to 2 cups of liquid or a 1:2 ratio. For this recipe using steel cut oats, the recipe is 2 cups steel cut oats and 8 cups of liquid, or a 1:4 ratio.
Slow Cooker Cranberry Coconut Oatmeal
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk, from a carton
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, or coconut sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, optional
- extra dried cranberries,coconut and coconut milk for garnish (optional)
- Add oats, water, coconut milk, brown sugar,cranberries, pumpkin pie spice and salt to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and set to high for 2 – 3 hours or low for 4 – 6 hours.
- 30 minutes before the cooking time is up, add the sweetened coconut flakes to the oatmeal and stir. Replace the cover and continue cooking until cooking time expires.
- Allow oatmeal to cool slightly, (it will thicken as it cools). Spoon into bowls, garnish as desired and serve warm.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.