All you need is one pan to bake zesty Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas with Savory Rice as a side dish! A quick and easy complete meal with super easy clean up!
If you like quick family meals with a breezy clean-up, sheet pan meals are for you. Everything on one pan, in the oven.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas is so good because a side of rice is baked right on the pan. The rice gets amazing flavor from the seasoned chicken and veggies cooking on top and dripping flavor onto the rice below.
Reasons to love Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas:
- The dish is packed with amazing flavors and lean protein
- Built in side dish – the rice is made right on the sheet pan!
- Versatile – Great for using up leftover meat and veggies
- It is perfect for busy weeknights and also for entertaining guests
- Only one sheet pan to clean, so minimum dishes for you. Line with parchment for instant clean up!
Tips and Hints for making the best Chicken Fajitas:
- I always say this, but a good meat centered meal starts with quality meat, so use organic chicken breasts if possible.
- Keep the shelf fresh by storing spices in a cool, dark place, away from direct heat or sunlight. In tightly closed containers whole spices will stay fresh for about 4 years, ground spices for about 2 to 3 years and dried herbs for 1 to 3 years.
- The recipe was created using Basmati rice. When cooked, Basmati rice is lighter and more fluffy than standard white rice and does not stick together. You may not get the same results if using regular long grain rice.
It seems silly now, but I will never forget how excited I was to about cooking rice with a sheet pan meal. The first time, it was good, almost like crispy rice, but needed more liquid to cook fully. The next time, I added more broth and the rice was spot on!
Hungry for more Tex-Mex inspired dishes? Check out more here:
- Lime Marinated Chicken Tacos – Tex-Mex flavor explosion in a shell
- Poblano Chicken Fiesta – chicken with a kick
- Chorizo Shepards Pie – A spicy sausage and potato pie
Helpful Tools and Ingredients:
- Large Eversharp Kitchen Knife – this is my favorite knife ever! It feels like an expensive knife in your hands. I have used mine everyday for years and it is still as sharp as brand new.
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Sheet Pan – commercial quality that will last for years and is affordable!
All you need is one pan to bake zesty sheet pan chicken Fajitas with savory rice as a side dish! A quick and easy complete meal with super easy clean up!
- 2 chicken breast, sliced in half lengthwise to make 4 thin breast pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Homemade Fajita Seasoning or prepared fajita seasoning, divided
- 1 Lime, sliced in half
- 1 red pepper, stemmed,seeded and sliced into rings
- 1 yellow pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced into rings
- 1 green pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced into rings
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick rings
- 2 cups Basmati rice, uncooked
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- cheese, sour cream and salsa to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon fajita seasoning and the juice from 1/2 of the lime. Add the chicken breasts to the bowl and toss to cover and marinade. Set aside.
- Spread peppers and onions on parchment lined tray in a single layer. Drizzle over remaining tablespoon of olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle remaining teaspoon of fajita seasoning evenly over the vegetables.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 – 15 minutes until tender and starting to brown. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Add 2 cups of rice in an even layer in the bottom of the sheet pan. Cover with 4 cups of broth and shake the pan gently to level. Place the pan in the oven and cook the rice for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Nestle the chicken and vegetables over the rice and return to the oven for 20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips and serve with vegetables and tortillas to build fajitas. Place the rice into a bowl and serve on the side.
Keywords: Fajita,dinner,recipe,rice,sheet pan,sheet pan rice,chicken