Sausage Egg Bowl is crunchy Italian bread filled with savory sausage, eggs, melting cheese and spices – a perfect centerpiece dish for brunch or dinner.
There’s something magical about eating pork with eggs in the morning. The sun shines brighter, the birds sing louder, a little fairy throws pixie dust on you and you are instantly gorgeous…okay, maybe not. You can’t help but be in a good mood when you smell that sizzling deliciousness.
A piece of this Sausage Egg Bowl will definitely fill you up and get the day started on a brighter note! As a bonus it’s packed with healthy veggies like red and orange bell peppers!
This dish is really a blank breakfast canvas – you can add in whatever vegetables you have on hand like onions, green pepper, broccoli or spinach.
Ingredients Needed to Make Sausage Egg Bowl
- Round Bread Loaf
- Olive Oil
- Country Sausage
- Red and Orange Bell Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
Directions For Making Sausage Egg Bowl
Get started by preheating your oven to 350F/176C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Take the round loaf of bread and use a bread knife to cut an inch slice of bread off the top. Carefully pick out the center of the loaf to make a bowl for the sausage mixture. Leave about 3/4 inch of bread to make a shell. (Save those bread pieces in a plastic bag for later, to make bread pudding or homemade bread crumbs).
Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the inside of the shell with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle the inside with a dash of salt and pepper and pop the bread into the preheated oven for 10 minutes, until slightly crispy. Remove the bread and turn the oven to broil.
Make The Filling:
Start browning the sausage (I used a tube of country sausage) Sometimes I use Chorizo when I want it really spicy!! Chorizo reminds me of my days living in San Antonio when I would buy a spicy breakfast burrito from the street cart before getting to work. (Sigh…I was young and thin then…) They were sooo good!
In a large skillet, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil.Over high heat, crumble the sausage into the skillet, and stir the sausage around to brown it on all sides. It is done when there is NO pink left on the sausage.
Once the sausage is browned and cooked thru, transfer it to a paper towel lined plate for later. In the same skillet, add the peppers and cook them over medium-high heat in the sausage drippings. Stir them around until the veggies are tender, about 6 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the sausage back to the skillet with the peppers. Add the beaten eggs, parmesan, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, parsley and basil. Stir until the eggs are just starting to get firm. Remove the skillet from the heat. You will be tempted, but try to resist the urge to pick at the filling…and do not lick your fingers!!
Fill The Bread Bowl:
Now, it’s time to stuff that bread bowl to the brim with your sausage mixture. Use a spoon and pack that filling in…literally! You don’t want to leave any empty spaces because your slices will crumble when you cut it.
Last step is to sprinkle over a thick layer of cheese before popping it in the oven. Cook under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly for about 3 minutes – until the eggs are cooked thru.
For the best results let it let it cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
More Egg Breakfast Recipe Ideas
- Buckeye Breakfast Sandwich
- Cheesy Bacon Egg Breakfast Crescent Ring
- Cheesy Egg Sandwich with Smoked Scallion Sauce
- Egg Sausage Breakfast Sliders
Sausage Egg Bowl Recipe
- 1 loaf round bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 6 large eggs beaten
- 16 ounce mild country sausage
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 medium orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh basil torn into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1-1/2 cups Cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Using a serrated knife, slice about 1 inch off the top crust of the bread. Carefully tear out the insides of the loaf, leaving about 3/4-inch of bread to form a shell. Put the loaf on the baking sheet, brush inside with some olive oil, and season with the salt and pepper. Bake until slightly crispy, about 10 minutes. Cool on a baking rack while you make the sausage mixture.
- Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until golden brown. Remove the sausage to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add the orange and red pepper to the skillet. Cook and stir around until tender, about 6 minutes over medium heat. When the peppers are tender, reduce the heat to medium and add back in the sausage, beaten eggs, salt, pepper, parsley, basil and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine, and cook until the eggs begin to firm, about 1 minute.
- Pack the sausage mixture into the bread shell and top with the cheddar cheese. Pop the pan under the broiler until the cheese is bubbling and the eggs are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Allow the sausage egg bowl to cool for a few minutes before cutting into 6-8 wedges. Enjoy!
2. Your favorite vegetables can be substituted for the peppers, about 2 cups
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.