Lemon Garlic Chicken Piccata are pan fried chicken breasts smothered in a creamy garlic sauce with parmesan cheese, basil and capers to add irresistible flavor.
Something funny happened this morning that hasn’t happened in a while. As an almost empty- nester, I live with 3 men, my husband Matthew and two grown sons. We also have my grandson here half-time, so it’s a packed house of always hungry.
For years, I’ve kept a large chalkboard hanging up where I post the next 2 weeks dinners. This menu is studied like the Holy Grail by the guys each morning. Well, this morning was the last day of the two week menu so I erased the board. I thought nothing of it until a little later, Matthew came into my office in a panic and asked what was for dinner. After I told him it was Lemon Garlic Chicken Piccata, he went away happy. Not 20 minutes later one of the boys came into the office with a concerned look on his face, asking the same question. Good Lord! It’s funny how some things never change…I have been posting a meal menu for 15 years now…you would think they would know that dinner will be served!
Looking for more 30 Minute recipes? Check out my collection here:
- Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs with Garlic Thyme Butter – pan seared and dripping with butter
- Italian Sausage Bean and Tomato Bake – so much more than a can of beans
- Smokey Lemon Chicken Piccata – amazing flavor served with pasta and lemon
- Sweet and Soy Chicken – sporting an addictive sticky glaze
- Chipotle Sausage and Bean Bake – take the heat up a notch with chipotle puree
Ingredients to make Lemon Garlic Chicken Piccata
The 10 things you’ll need to make this incredibly tasty recipe!
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Heavy Cream
- Parmesan Cheese
How To Make Lemon Garlic Chicken Piccata
Start by measuring the flour, salt and pepper into a plastic bag. Add the chicken breasts and shake until completely coated with the flour. Next, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts. Fry the breasts on each side about 4 minutes, until golden brown and no longer pink inside. Remove from the pan to a plate.
Over medium heat, add the garlic to the remaining olive oil in the skillet and cook about 1 minute until the garlic is just starting to turn golden. Add the milk, cream and parmesan cheese to the skillet and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer the cream mixture for about 5 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add the capers and 2 TBSP lemon juice to start. Add additional lemon juice if you want the sauce to be more tart. Stir to combine and continue simmering to desired thickness, about 3 minutes.
Add the chicken back to the skillet to warm. Sprinkle the basil over the top and serve. Add additional capers. lemon slices and parmesan to garnish.
This dish is amazing served over linguine noodles. The sauce really sticks to it and it makes a nice bed for the chicken on the plate.
Lemon Garlic Chicken Piccata
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup milk, I used 2%
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- additional grated parmesan and capers to garnish
- Cut each breast in half lengthwise into cutlets. Measure the flour, salt and pepper into a plastic bag. Add the chicken breasts and shake until completely coated with the flour.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the chicken breasts. Fry the breasts on each side about 4 minutes, until golden brown and no longer pink inside. Remove from the pan onto a plate.
- Over medium heat, add the garlic to the remaining olive oil in the skillet and cook about 1 minute until the garlic is just starting to turn golden. Add the milk, cream and parmesan cheese to the skillet and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer the cream mixture for about 5 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Add the capers and lemon juice to the skillet. Start with 2 TBSP of lemon juice and add additional tablespoons one at a time if you like the sauce more tart. Stir to combine. Continue to simmer until the desired thickness, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet to warm thru. Sprinkle the basil over the top and serve.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.