Kicked Up Three Bean Ham Soup made with ham chunks, veggies, three kinds of beans and a chili powder kick, this ready in 30 minute soup ticks all of the must try buttons. It’s even better made ahead!
What could be better than a bowl of steamy hot ham and bean soup? Whether it is only for you or a big group of your peeps, this is a soup recipe you want to keep handy. We love it at our house with leftover ham, but it will work with chicken or beef too! The big kick of chili powder and the addition of black beans updates this recipe so it appeals to more modern tastes. . This is oh so NOT your grandmas ham and bean soup. It’s even better made a day ahead of time, and when you can say that about a recipe you know it’s a winner!
REASONS TO ENJOY THIS THREE BEANS SOUP RECIPE
- Fast and easy to make
- Economical – Perfect for using up leftover ham and veggies
- Even better made ahead; store leftovers in fridge for up to two days
- Beans are hugely protein and fiber rich
Start by sauteing the classic trifecta of soup making – carrots, celery and onion. You can get all fancy by calling it mirepoix! After the veggies are tender, add in the garlic and cook until fragrant and starting to turn golden.
Stir in the chicken broth, water, spices, ham and beans. Make sure the bay leaf is down in the broth to get the benefit of all that flavor. Because the soup only cooks for 30 minutes, the spices should go in right at the start so they have more time to develop.
Tip – ditch the cartons and mix up your chicken broth as you need it with Chicken Stock Base. It adds so much more flavor than regular pre-made broth.
Chili powder and paprika not only add in another layer of flavor, they will also add nice color to the soup.
With ham and three kinds of beans, this soup is just packed with protein and fiber!
Here is the printable recipe. Serve the soup with a pan of easy skillet cornbread and you will be in hog heaven! Enjoy!
Three Bean Ham Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 medium carrots cleaned and sliced
- 2 stalks celery chopped small
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic about 3 cloves
- 31 ounces great northern beans 2 (15.5-ounce) cans, drained and rinsed
- 15.5 ounce Cannellini beans canned,drained and rinsed
- 15.5 ounce black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ham fully cooked and cubed
- 1-1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- In a large pot, heat the butter until melted. Add the carrots, celery, and onions and saute over medium-high heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until ham and beans are heated thru. Discard the bay leaf and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.