Kicked Up Three Bean Ham Soup, so warm and tasty, will be your new family favorite comfort food! Full of ham chunks, veggies, three kinds of beans and a chili powder kick, this ready in 30 minute soup ticks all of the must try buttons. It’s even better made ahead!
What could be better than a bowl of steamy hot ham and bean soup? Whether it is only for you or a big group of your peeps, this is a soup recipe you want to keep handy. We love it at our house with leftover ham, but it will work with chicken or beef too! The big kick of chili powder and the addition of black beans updates this recipe so it appeals to more modern tastes. . This is oh so NOT your grandmas ham and bean soup. It’s even better made a day ahead of time, and when you can say that about a recipe you know it’s a winner!
Reasons for you to enjoy this recipe:
- Fast and easy to make
- Economical – Perfect for using up leftover ham and veggies
- Even better made ahead; store leftovers in fridge for up to two days
- Beans are hugely protein and fiber rich
Start by sauteing the classic trifecta of soup making – carrots, celery and onion. You can get all fancy by calling it mirepoix! After the veggies are tender, add in the garlic and cook until fragrant and starting to turn golden.
Stir in the chicken broth, water, spices, ham and beans. Make sure the bay leaf is down in the broth to get the benefit of all that flavor. Because the soup only cooks for 30 minutes, the spices should go in right at the start so they have more time to develop.
Chili powder and paprika not only add in another layer of flavor, they will also add nice color to the soup.
With ham and three kinds of beans, this soup is just packed with protein and fiber!
Helpful Tools and ingredients to make this soup:
Large Soup Pot or Dutch Oven – my favorite is a ceramic coated cast-iron 6 quart dutch oven. It heats evenly and keeps the soup warm long after the heat is turned off.
Chili Powder – you can find it in the spice aisle of the grocery, but this is my all-time favorite for rich flavor and value.
Here is the printable recipe. Serve the soup with a pan of easy skillet cornbread and you will be in hog heaven! Enjoy!Print
Three Bean Ham Soup will be a family favorite comfort food! Full of ham chunks, veggies and three kinds of beans, this flavorful ready in 30 minute soup ticks all of the must try buttons. It’s even better made ahead!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium carrots, cleaned and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped small
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, about 3 cloves
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5) ounce can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5) ounce black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ham, fully cooked and cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 each salt and black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pot, heat the butter until melted.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onions and saute over medium-high heat until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until ham and beans are heated thru. Discard the bay leaf and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
If you like more heat, add another 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder or a pinch of cayenne.